Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:08:19 AM

Author Topic: Problem with XBOX 360 Pendant...?  (Read 10063 times)

Problem with XBOX 360 Pendant...?
« on: November 15, 2009, 01:29:29 AM »
I purchsed a wired Microsoft XBOX 360 controller, followed the instructions and installed the XBOX 360 Controller Pendant and it works great! However, now that I am using the controller to position X0,Y0 and Z0 and attempting to cut, I've found an issue that I'm not sure how to fix. My G code does a G53 Z0. then a G53 X0, Y0 at the beginning of the file and before each tool change. Strange thing is, when I postion Z using the Pendant, it appears to be saving the distance moved with the pendant as a offset of some kind on the Z axis because when I start the program and it goes to G53 Z0. It continues past Z0 to some random depth that seems to be realted to the amount I moved the Z axis with the controller, then moves back up to my Z rapid height of .1 and cuts. If I move the Z axis using Mach Jog, I don't seem to have the issue. Is there a setting somewhere that is causing the Z axis movements to be affecting offsets in Mach?
Re: Problem with XBOX 360 Pendant...?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:21:02 AM »
OK, after getting a few hours of sleep, this is not an issue that is specifically with the XBOX 360 controller. I am having the same issues with the Mach3 Jog so I must have changed a setting somewhere. When I zero out the X,Y and Z axis, it is showing up on the G54 Offsets so when the system goes to G53 Z0, it goes negative the amount the DRO was before it was reset to zero apparently because of the offset being set. I'm looking at the Mach3 manual to try and find out what setting is doing this. If anyone knows how to fix this, let me know.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:24:57 AM »
I think I have this figured out, although I don't understand why I'm having this issue now and wasn't before  ??? . I figured out that a G53 is a Machine Coordinate move and not an axis DRO move so G53 Z0 should move to Machine Z0 and I think it has always done that but Machine Z0 is set when my machine and Mach3 are turned on and so machine Z0 is always above actual Z0. It appears now that a G53 Z0 is moving down below my DRO Z0 the amount of the machine offset that should be above actual Z0 and crashing into my work. How would this have gotten reversed?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »
Ok. I'm sure no one but me has replied to this thread because I'm a moron... One of those times where you wish you could delete a thread. Anyway, my ignorance in understanding Machine and DRO Coordinates caused this issue. I was in fact rasing the Z axis and resetting the DRO to zero so I did have a negative Machine Coordinate of less than zero. Learn something new everyday  :-[ Someone needs to add a dumba$$ icon but embarrassed works too.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »
I'm a moron

We've all had our moments. Just part of the learning process.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »
I'm in the process of getting a xbox 360 controller. The one I'm getting is a wireless controller. I'm wondering though, do you use the same plug-in for the wired one as the wireless one, or is there a different plug-in?

Dave
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
Dave,

To use the Wireless controller you have to buy a XBOX Wireless Receiver for Windows. This is a USB device that allows your wireless controller to communicate with your computer. I used a wired controller since my computer is only about 5 feet from my machine and it was cheaper than buying the controller and receiver.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »
Yes I have the receiver on the way. What I would like to know is, if I really can't get the wireless controller to work, what do I have to get to use a wired controller, bedsides the wired controller.

Dave
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
Sorry, with the wired controller you don't need anything else. the same one that plugs into the XBOX 360 will work plugged directly into the USB port on the PC. I just went to Walmart, picked up a standard XBOX 360 wired controller and plugged it in, loaded the drivers and the pendant plug in and got everything working within minutes. I love this pendant and you can program the buttons to do just about anything you want. I have the X,Y and A buttons zero out the X,Y and Z dro's. I use the start button to run the program and programmed the right joystick for Z axis up/down and the left Joystick does the X/Y axis. Works Perfect, I couldn't be happier with it. Plus I impressed my boy's that think its really cool that Daddy can control his machine with an XBOX controller. You won't get that kind of excitement using other pendants.  :D
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »
Wow that's great, thanks. I hope that the wireless controller works that good. My son works for M.S. and it would be great to have the xbox controlling my router by Thanksgiving when he gets here.

Thanks again

Dave