Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:46:31 AM

Author Topic: allen bradley bru 200  (Read 39939 times)

allen bradley bru 200
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »
I own a big wood router, it is a Sanom build in 1994.
the drives and motors are Allen Bradley, drives:  AC230 volt BRU 200 analog and brushless DC 230 volt servomotors f series Allen Bradley 3.3hp max 20 Amp
Is there someone  who can tell me if the dspMC/ip is the right choice for me?
I have the manual for the drives and motor, they run only one direction with simple wirering,
regards,
Cees
Re: allen bradley bru 200
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »
I am in the process of taking delivery of one picked up second hand, I have been trying to find anyone that has used them with third party motors.
As you may know, they are programmed with a PC through the serial port, they only appear to have ±10vdc analogue control.
I hope to drive a Fanuc servo with it for as spindle motor, I don't see any commutation inputs, Hall or resolver? Do you know if your has commutation feed back.
BTW, These are Reliance Electric units, Rockwell bought them out a while back.
Nosmo.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »
zeeschuim
The DSPMC should be fine, I have never used on but have heard a lot of good things about it. Your drives should be capable of moving in both directions, sounds like you have the CW or CWW inhibit in use, been a while since I messed with them.
 As yours will already be set up for your motors then there will be no issues regards the personality module.

NosmoKing
If your drives are BRU 200 then I believe it will not be easy to use with motors other than they are meant to be used with. Reason I say that is they have a personality module that plugs into them and this needs to be set up with the motor parameters. It is not like the later drives that can be programmed from the serial port, it needs to be done external to the drive, how exactly I am not sure. I was quoted £50 to programme one a few years ago, I was to send off the module, they would programme and send it back and I would then just plug it back into the drive. Whether they will programme the module with a non standard motors parameters I dont know but probably best asking Osia rather than Rockwell as I would imagine there would be more chance of them doing it.
You can connect to the drive via serial and using Hyperterminal but it is just for PID and the like, not setting motor parameters.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:36:41 PM »
Oh forgot, if I remember correctly commutation is by means of absolute encoder, the motors I had have a ABS signal as well as the normal A B I on the encoder.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:46:37 PM »
I own a big wood router, it is a Sanom build in 1994.
the drives and motors are Allen Bradley, drives:  AC230 volt BRU 200 analog and brushless DC 230 volt servomotors f series Allen Bradley 3.3hp max 20 Amp
Is there someone  who can tell me if the dspMC/ip is the right choice for me?
I have the manual for the drives and motor, they run only one direction with simple wirering,
regards,
Cees

As long as they are +-10v analog input and you have encoders on the motors they will work fine.

Mike

We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
Oh forgot, if I remember correctly commutation is by means of absolute encoder, the motors I had have a ABS signal as well as the normal A B I on the encoder.
Hood
That is what looks strange, ABS is just one input, whereas absolute is usually multi-digitial, the rest is ABI differential.
From what I read in the manual, the personality module can be custom programmed by PC and a modem program, they are normally just  pre-set for Reliance motors?
Nosmo.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 01:52:49 AM »
Thanks,
I saw they need a 24volt input for cw and cww rotatation, am I right?
Cees

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 02:59:01 AM »
NosmoKing

The ABS signal if I remember correctly is like a series of steps in voltage equal to the pole pairs in the motor, been a few years but its definitely the way I remember seeing it on the scope.
 As for programming, I dont know how its done, I was under the impression they placed it in something similar to an eeprom burner and that special software was needed. That could have just been bull however as they may have just been wanting some money from me. It seems to be a closely guarded secret as I searched long and hard for info but couldn't find any.
What you may be seeing in the manual is that you can alter parts of the personality module via hyperterminal, things such as PID, Torque or Velocity mode etc but as far as I am aware the actual motor parameters can not be changed that way.

zeeschuim

The 24v is internally supplied and you open the  terminals  to stop rotation in the direction you want to stop it. In the above drawing it shows RAC and FAC, that is the rotation inhibits, FAC stands for Forward Amplifier Clamping and RAC is Reverse. If you jumper FAC+ to FAC- you can rotate Forward direction, if you connect RAC+ to RAC- you can get Reverse, if you have them both connected then you can get both directions. The direction is controlled from your + - 10v analogue inputs from your controller (DSPMC)

Hood
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:02:02 AM by Hood »
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
The ABS signal if I remember correctly is like a series of steps in voltage equal to the pole pairs in the motor, been a few years but its definitely the way I remember seeing it on the scope.
 As for programming, I dont know how its done, I was under the impression they placed it in something similar to an eeprom burner and that special software was needed.

I guess I will find out when I get it and play with it, I see there is a jumper that selects either RAM or EPROM for the PM module, so I guess if a RAM chip is fitted it is fully programmable, with the burn command?
Nosmo.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »
so this dspMC?ip wil give 0 to 10 volt plus and 0 to 10 volt minus?
I tryed with a penlite battery both ways, but the drives don't reverse!???
thanks,
Cees