Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:48:44 PM

Author Topic: Robot Controller?  (Read 2932 times)

Robot Controller?
« on: September 10, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
Well, that's me... always something new. I'm trying to put together a robotic arm system. Using stepper motors to motivate. I have a very good start, I recently purchased an old Lab-Volt 6 axis robotic arm. It has six steppers, Which I think can be controlled by Mach3. 12 Volt...35 ohms/phase...7.5 degree step angle. I plan on creating a user screen showing the individual axis. Elbow, L wrist, R wrist, Base, Hand, and Shoulder.

Concerns...Issues?

This will be my first attempt. any advise would greatly appreciated.

Pop.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Robot Controller?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »
Not good news Pop.

Although Mach supports Rotational interpolation it was primarily designed for linear movement control so I think you will be struggling with this project.
Once you have stepper control of the arm the Mach 'Teach wizard' could be used to compile the GCode to follow the moves that you have made manually but none of the (realistically priced) software I have encountered so far will compile code for an arm.
Good luck with your project.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »

Tweakie,

Thank you very much for you response. Haven't thought about that, if it were just an X Y and Z robot it would not  be an issue. Writing code for such a system by hand would be simple.

Hmmm.... ???

I'm certain I can motivate the unit with the software. The translating arcs, splines or multi-axis movments is going to be a challenge.

Thanx Again... I'll keep all posted on progress....

Pop

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:16:01 AM »
Yes, please keep us up to date on your progress Pop. Very interested in this.

Tweakie.
PEACE