Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:27:13 PM

Author Topic: Pocketing in LC?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Pocketing in LC?
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »
Watching the video LC Pocketing, it says that you create the pocket and then you generate the gcode and send it to Mack3.

But why I should ask LC to create a pocket? If I draw a square in Acad 10”x10”x1/2” thick and then draw another square in the center 4”x4”x1/8” deep (the pocket) and import into Mack3, wouldn’t Mack3 make the cut the way I want it?

I just want to clarify the process in my mind
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Pocketing in LC?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:07:24 PM »
The .dxf file is just lines. You have to tell LazyCAM (or any CAM program) what you want to pocket. It's not smart enough to figure it out on it's own. IN your example, if you just wanted to route two squares, instead of a pocket in a square, you'd still draw it the same, right?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Pocketing in LC?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »
The .dxf file is just lines. You have to tell LazyCAM (or any CAM program) what you want to pocket. It's not smart enough to figure it out on it's own. IN your example, if you just wanted to route two squares, instead of a pocket in a square, you'd still draw it the same, right?

Of course you are right Gerry….

I guess my thinking is wrong because I didn’t quite understand the meaning of “Pocketing” which probably is a machining terminology. Now I get it

In my example, you are right that Mach will only cut two squares. But if I want the 4”x4” square to be cut at 1/8” deep through all the 4”x4” area, then I have to tell that to LC in the pockets menu.

Thank you for taking the time Gerry
 Nicolas
Nicolas