Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:48:21 PM

Author Topic: Ok, I'm close but not there yet!  (Read 3426 times)

Ok, I'm close but not there yet!
« on: September 07, 2009, 05:05:05 PM »
So I am a real newbie and have gone thru the building of a 2 x 5' mill.  I guess that was the easy part because Mach is kicking my butt.  After a number of wonderful crashes where I thought the machine was going to a rodeo, I have it acting civil EXCEPT for it cutting in the mirror image from what is on the screen.  A search of the forum said maybe the X-Y is reversed.  I think I set it up correctly so how do I check or what do I change?  I've been over the homing video several times now and only get a headache from it now.  On another note, I have 1/2 x 10 5 start lead screws on all axes and have it set to 800 pulses in motor tuning.  The size of the cut image doesn't appear to be correct.  How are pulses related to size of cut if at all?  Where have I strayed off the golden path??  Please point me in the correct direction.

Thanks  Jerre

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Ok, I'm close but not there yet!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »
If the image is mirrored left to right, your X axis is backwards. If mirrored top to bottom, the Y is backwards. Can you post some pics of the machine, as it would help explain things better.

As for the steps, 1/2-10 5 start screws are 400 steps per revolution with full stepping, 800 for half step, 1600 for 1/4 step, 3200 for 1/8 step, or 4000 for 1/10 step (Gecko). What are your drives set at?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »
You need to reverse at least one of your axis, which one depends on which axis is mirrored. You can do that from Config menu then Homing and Limits.
Your steps per unit will also depend on the microstepping of the drive and any gearing you have between the motor and screw but even at full stepping and no gearing with a 10 TPI screw it would need 2000 steps per unit.
Hood

Edit, see after reading Gers post that they are 5 start, need to get my eyes tested ;D
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 05:14:51 PM »
Well I'm on my way back to the barn to try some of this out.  I am using 1/4 microstepping on Keling 405 steppers and Keling microstep drives.

I'll let you know what problems I have created.   

Thanks  Jerre
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »
I can't say THANK YOU enough.  Everything seems to be working so far.  I am sure I will have a few more tribulations that will need yur expertise.

Thanks agaiin

Jerre