Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:30:21 PM

Author Topic: Galil + G31+ Mach3  (Read 29331 times)

Galil + G31+ Mach3
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:07:33 PM »
Help required with using G31 probing and Galil DMC-2152 card.
We are trying to use a simple probing macro to find the height of a surface in the Z axis.
I was able to use the G code "G31" with Hotkeys and no machine driver connected, but once I install the Plugin for the Galil card and run the same macro with machine motion, the probe would not stop it's travel, it will run onto the requested Z position in that line of code.
I have been watching the Diagnostics screen and can see the input for Digitize coming on.

Sample of code:-
Toolup=-10
Code "G31 Z-150 F300"
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Code "G4 P5.0"
Code "G53 G0 Z" & ToolUp     

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Galil + G31+ Mach3
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
How have you wired the probe?  On the Galil, we use the latch inputs.  Input 1 = X, 2 = Y, 3 = Z, etc...  If your Z axis is Galil axis 3, then the probe needs to be wired to input 3.  Also, the DIGITIZE signal needs to be mapped to the input #3's pin number.  All this is fine if all you want to probe is Z moves.  But if you want to do X, Y, and Z, then the probe needs to be wired to inputs 1, 2, and 3.  Then you need a brain to set DIGITIZE signal based on if either input 1, 2, or 3 is high.

Steve
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »
Thanks for that.

I had my machine probe as input #7, but it was mapped to the probe on the input pins & ports setup screen.

I have now wiring the probe to Input ZLATCH which in input #3 and mapped that input to the probe (Port#1 Pin#27).
I have since rerun the macro but the machine does the same, Z travel does not stop when the probe switch input is made.  I have tried the setup as Active Low and Active high but with the same result.  To test the macro, I and running it from within MDI, and typing the macro name, in this case M110 is what I have called it.

I do have another that may or may not be related I was going to ask you about it later but just in case the 2 are related, he we go:-

With Soft Limits switched off the on screen MPG will control the machine direction correctly, the same is true for the keyboard keys, but with soft limits switched On the Y+ on the MPG moves the machine in the Y- direction, light wise for X and Z add directions are inverted, it is also inverted for the Keyboard when moving the machine.  But the position count is correct to the direction it moves, and the softlimits are working.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »
Hmm...  I'll check the softlimit stuff.  As for the probe, I'll have to try it out via the macro way.  There may be a possibility that it won't work through the MDI.

PM me with your email address and I'll get you a new plugin with the fixes, if/when I find them.  :)

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:54:26 AM »
Found the softlimit error.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 06:12:41 PM »
Email Address:-
dave.proform@xtra.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
I too am having trouble - wired up a little stand to set tool height, connected to Zlatch, and digitize comes on and off, but G31 Z-10. F10. produces no motion...

Not sure where to look?

Thanks!

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
Get the newest plugin off of the download page.  Then you have to connect all of the latch inputs of any Mach defined axes.  All of them.  If you run XYZ, then Xlatch, Ylatch, and Zlatch should be used.  If you are only moving X and Y, then Xlatch and Ylatch should be wired.  You loose these latch inputs as general inputs, but it's the only way to reliably probe with the Galil.

Steve
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »
I'm using the version of the plugin you sent me back in July to correct the inouts not using the active high/low settings...  The one on the DL page will work for all?  So just checking, all the latch inputs have to be wired together even though I only want to move Z during a probe move? 

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »
Yes, the plugin on the download page is what you need.  As I fix problems, I put it out there so that new users get the most current plugin. 

Yes, all of the latch inputs of the moving axes.  "G31 X10 Y5 Z0" is perfectly legal Gcode.  So you would want to capture the positions of all of the axes if the probe hit!  This also makes probing to a file work as you will get XYZ records for a point cloud.  Just hooking up the Z latch would only give you a Z point.

Steve