Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 12:19:59 PM

Author Topic: Chains and entities question  (Read 25421 times)

Re: Chains and entities question
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »
Steve this part is TINY is it to scale??? IF so you will have to work with extremly small bits to make it work.

UNLESS that is the idea (;-) TP

This part is huge compared to some things i have made. I have a steam/air engine that has a .0625 bore and stroke and a .250 flywheel.

The first picture is the air cleaner i am trying to replicate. The second is the engine it has to fit. If the size is .950 wide and 1.950 long then it is to scale. The plan is to cut it out with a .016 end mill. This is the second project i am attempting to do with LC. The first went well but this one is giving some trouble but that's how you learn.

I tried to pocket the area but it did not leave the ribs as islands. It pocketed the entire oval. The tool being .016 and an overlap of .007 I thought would do the trick. Then i tried to do an offset around all the ribs in the center and it would only do a few ribs and stop. The offset would not go all the way around all the ribs in the center cluster. It is pretty complex but if you folks think it is possible, i will keep at it!

vmax549

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:44:14 PM »
OK NOW I got ya, I'll work on it at that level then. I might be able to get it working now that I know the real scale of things.

(;-) TP
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:00:29 PM »
OK NOW I got ya, I'll work on it at that level then. I might be able to get it working now that I know the real scale of things.

(;-) TP

Keep track of what you do. The only reason for making this thing was to learn how to use LC and Mach3.

Thanks for all the help thus far!!

Picture of the steamer!

Steve
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:02:20 PM by stevehuck »

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
hi steve

here is a l-cam file and a pic. i scaled you up 16 to 1 in l-cam and and moved chains to new layers. used a scaled up tool wich comes out to .250
it generated paths ok. lcam does not like small stuff, so go big to go small. you have two options from here after generating paths. export the code scaled up and set the scale in mach3.or scale lcam back down after pathing then generate code.

bill
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »
Hi Doc!

Thats some nice work there but....  Its backward. Take a look at the photo of the air cleaner about 4 posts ago. The part you cut was supposd to be the part that sticks up.

Sorry if i wasted some of your time.

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »
steve

i did not target your part to cut it out. just trying to show you a possible solution to using l-cam. only wasted 5 min anyway.
that is a good l-cam file i gave you back ,you should be able to do alot of damage with it.

bill

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 08:42:07 PM »
forget this,sorry
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 09:12:07 PM »
You'r killing me!!

How exactly did you do that. I scaled up 20X and created a tool 20X and tried to do exactly what is in the previous post and no luck. Still wants to cut the entire oval out. Yes i checked "create islands"  Is there something else in the setup stuff i need to change?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
Hi, Steve

I used Bill's LCam file and used the .250 cutter for the tool, Are you using the Great Island's option as in pic 1 also selecting the chaines as in pic 2.

Hears a LCam file too look at, You will need to setup all the depths of cuts and move Chines around also.

Chip

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »
STEVE,
Here is a different approch ( as i show and talk about in the manual ) for your air cleaner.
I have broken it down into machining steps, namely:
- Border
- Inside paths
- engraving area
- drilling
In this way you have complete control over what you  want to do and there is no problem with the code generation into Mach. The pathing inside will leave a raised portion .016" wide and assume that on the path you will cut .016" deep. Would cut the inside border with a square .016" end mill.
Oh, btw, it's .975" wide x 1.950" long and i hope your machine cuts accurately or it will look crappy!
RICH
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:57:06 AM by RICH »