Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:56:11 AM

Author Topic: Go To Zero  (Read 7804 times)

Go To Zero
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:49:54 AM »
When I push the go to zero button on the program run screen, the X axis of my SX3 mill dosen't go all the way back I have to push twice to home it.
Anyone got an idea whats causeing problem and hopfully a fix? other axis home.
Thanks
Mike
Re: Go To Zero
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »
GoToZero does not "home" the machine, it simply sends all axes to work coordinates 0.0000.  RefAllHome homes the machine.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
OK Ray incorrect terminology I am not trying to ' home' but return to zero but do you have a fix for the problem.
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
Are you using the standard screenset? What version of Mach?

Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »
Just a quick question on this subject if that's ok? Why does one use this function? Don't most (not all) use the top surface as Z zero? Why would you want to have everything go to zero if that's going to bring the cutter down to the surface?

Unless this is just another option that was included just to accomodate those who actually zero above the surface in work coords?

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »
Theoretically if you go to zero it should not do any harm as the cutter should stop exactly at the surface, in practice it not be that way ;D

I have a knee mill so I use this all the time, if I change/replace a tool I wind the knee down press Go to Zero then crank the knee up to touch off.

Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »
Ok, understood but why not use a macro or a G28 to set it up so that when you do a toolchange, the spindle goes up to a certain area and makes it easier for you? I use a G28 command and set it up in the config so the Z goes about .500" away from my upper home switch and then the table get's out of the way as well.

Wouldn't this make more sense? I m sure there's a reason and that's why I'm asking  ;)

Or is this one of those "6 one way, half a dozen another way",  things?  :D

Thanks,
Dave

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 04:38:46 PM »
On a knee mill I dont bother setting up tool offsets in the table, much easier just to crank the knee. Same if you snap a tool or a tool goes blunt, just crank the knee down half a turn, press Go to Zero and then move knee up to touch the cutter.

With a bedmill its different scenario so that is likely why you dont use or see a need for it :)
Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »
Actually I use a bridgeport quite regularly but not a CNC version so I can understand where you're coming from -  ;)

Thanks as always, Hood-
Dave

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
I also have a toolchange button that will move X Y and Z to a predetermined position but I never use that, one of these things that I thought I would always use but never have done :D Suppose everyone works differently and the great thing about Mach is you can set things up the way you want :)
 Hood