Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:17:52 AM

Poll

I am thinking of g-rexing this lathe advice please!

grex
1 (50%)
par port
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: September 03, 2006, 05:01:25 PM

Author Topic: hardinge hnc to retrofit  (Read 20807 times)

hardinge hnc to retrofit
« on: August 29, 2006, 05:01:25 PM »
Hi Folks I just got this lathe on ebay for $500 and I am looking into retrofitting it.  I am looking for advice on how best to accomplish this.  I am going to be using it as a real production machine, not just hobby...that being said my budjet is not unlimited!

The lathe is a hardinge hnc, it was made in 1980 and it seems to be in good working order.  the pictures should tell the rest I think.

thanks all    

Roo Trimble
Roodesign
roodesign@earthlink.net
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:06:23 PM by roodesign »
Re: hardinge hnc to retrofit
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:42:02 PM »
O boy i ran a jath just like that one time :) GE 550 and all!! JUNK!!!!!! Sweet lathe!!
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 11:38:41 AM »
I used to run those too, but with Allen Bradley controls.  Looks like a 5C machine?

Can't see your servo motors. but I do recall those little tacho's which can be seen in the last pic.  We seemed to be forever fixing em.

I am doing a similar machine, see the HXL-S thread.    Be glad to help if I can.

Wayne...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 08:17:31 PM »
Thought I would update with my progress....
I have decided to go with a Galil 2130 controller and new analog drives...
I will be adding encoders on the end of the ball screws ...where all that resolver stuff is...see pic..
I plan to use the original spindle motor, and it's two speed belt/clutch transmission.  I will use a vfd in addition to this instead of the cone pully setup that is on it...I will remove or lock that...I get to trash that whole huge "refrigerator"!!!

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:20:44 PM »
Re your spindle drive.   Does your machine have the split cone pullys and the small motor and leadscrew to infinately change ratio?

My 1st retrofit had this arrangement, and I kept it while using a VFD.   I rearranged it so that it effectively became a LOW/HIGH gearbox moving from one limit dwitch to the other.

Worked quite well.   I'd take pic, but the machine is in pieces again while I modify the pan to give me a deeper well like my HXL-S

Wayne...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 06:34:09 PM »
Re your spindle drive.   Does your machine have the split cone pullys and the small motor and leadscrew to infinately change ratio? My 1st retrofit had this arrangement, and I kept it while using a VFD.   I rearranged it so that it effectively became a LOW/HIGH gearbox moving from one limit switch to the other.   Wayne... 

I have an HNC that I am getting ready to retrofit. It never occurred to me to use the varidrive as a transmission. Great idea!

My hnc came out of a university lab and had never been used. It still has the shipping brackets attached.

What did you do with the servo motors on your machine?  I need to install encoders and wondered if I should just dispense with the motors and start fresh.

Doug Harrison
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 10:28:03 PM »

I have decided to go with a Galil 2130 controller and new analog drives...

How are you going to controll the Galil? Mach?
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 08:34:55 AM »
another update...I have removed the ge 550 control, and all interface boards etc from the lathe, I have installed the galil 2130 in the left side cab on the lathe, also the amc drives.  I am mounting automation direct 2500 ppr dif encoders in place of the old resolver tach units on the ends of the screws. I have removed all the contactors for the spindle motor and coolant pump...vfds go in the right side cab 1 for spindle motor, 1 for coolant pump. for now I will have the galil control the vfd, and the high and low range clutches and brake, I will lock the vari-drive in one position.  another encoder goes on the spindle for when the mach3 plugin will use it for threading/ pid control of the spindle vfd...that's it for now...I sure am having fun!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 05:24:39 PM »
Hi there, yet another update!
almost all hardware is done...look for pics shortly....it will be time to start writing macros for all the i/o....
the galil controls all the outputs that I need and all the inputs...
there are 13 outs and 9 inputs...the galil either controls 10 amp ssr's or opto 22 boards
my galil has 8 opto inputs, so I will have to use 1 opto 22 input module...

anyone out there have a macro that would be a good starting place for the hardinge turret?

it needs to read the four wire turret encoder and control the solinoids that lift/turn it and the one that stops it + 1 in postion switch, also I have a feeling that the turret stop device briefly stalls the turn air motor as it stops the turret?

well anyway, look for some pics shortly....

Roo Trimble :)
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 06:18:27 PM »
Hey guys, I thought I would try again to see if anyone has a turret macro that would be a good starting place for me to make mine for my hardinge hnc...
I am a bit lost in how to start...

please!    thanks tons....

by the way, I have the hnc working with the Galil quite well...the i/o...homeing etc...I even made some chips!

Roo Trimble  :)