Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:51:52 AM

Author Topic: Need HELP Steppers Stalling on Shallow Moves  (Read 15300 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need HELP Steppers Stalling on Shallow Moves
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 03:18:26 PM »
 My drives are not badged Keling, they were from ArcEuro in the UK but no matter what name is on them they all look like they are made by Leadshine in China.
 I think mine are set active high for both step and direction.

Hood
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 03:30:09 PM »
Do you think that chaning the active position would make a difference?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
It may do, I cant recall whether the docs I got with my drives said Hi or Low but it seems to work fine that way for me. Then again even if the docs did say it I am not sure I would believe them as the latest drive I got was slightly different and had a dip switch to select between CW/CCW mode and Step/Dir mode and it was wrong.

Hood
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 03:43:11 PM »
If I switched it to Active high and it didn't work what would I see the machine doing differently?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
Would probably lose the odd step here or there.
Hood
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »
hmm, ok, well the problem gets solved by slowing down the rapids, so I think I'll just stick with that, thanks for the help.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »
hmm, ok, well the problem gets solved by slowing down the rapids, so I think I'll just stick with that, thanks for the help.

That would really worry me.  You may have solved the immediate problem, but there is something wrong somewhere, and it will undoubtedly come back and bite you in the ass at the worst possible time.  I don't believe you've seen the last of this problem....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 06:23:34 PM »
Well if you have any suggestions? I mean it only does it when it's doing a rapid move where one axis is long and one axis is super short. I do 3D all the time with no problems.
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 07:35:18 PM »
OK Himy was kind of correct. This problem still exists, kind of. So I don't do any rapid moves during machining anymore, I stay at 20 IPM. But I noticed recently that the problem would present itself at 30 IPM if both the X and Y were moving at the same time, such as going around a corner at full chip load, so 1/2" endmill 30 IPM and 1/4" DOC. I believe the gibs to be adjusted accurately and both axis' are solid and move smoothly. I can't move the tables by pulling more than .001 - .0005 and it's certainly not binding. When the machine is off I can turn the ballscrews by hand and they are very smooth. The only mechanical fault I would see is maybe the steppers are not strong enough for this mill under full chip load.

So PLEASE HELP ME solve this problem. Specs: Keling 1200 oz./in. Steppers -- Direct Drive to Ball Screws -- Keling 8078 Drives -- 72 VDC @ 20 Amps Power Supply (The Steppers are set to 5.7 amps on the drives). At 150 IPM it can drag me across the floor without losing steps, but that's not a very technical test and a full load cutter might be more. Is there any way this could be an electronic problem with the drives or something? If it's not an electrical thing would I get more power from a 1810 oz./in. or 2830 oz./in. Stepper with the same 72VDC Power Supply? I'm asking cause I don't know how much more power at 20-50 IPM I would get from the other motors.
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »
I would put an oscilloscope on the power supply.  My guess is it's not holding up under peak loads.  You can try looking at it with a voltmeter first.  If that's not it, then I'd look for possible ground problems, or noise affecting the Step/Dir lines.  Does one axis typically stall, or both?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.