Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:06:25 AM

Author Topic: Need HELP Steppers Stalling on Shallow Moves  (Read 15297 times)

Re: Need HELP Steppers Stalling on Shallow Moves
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »
Thanks. I'll do that this weekend.
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
Himy, I just reread your posts to me and I've still got some questions, I'll try and make this simple. I haven't done any grounding yet, I've kept the machine under 10 IPM and these days that's too slow so I'm going to do the wiring today.

120V Ground = Lug on Metal Housing Box
12VDC Negative From PS Side One = Lug on Metal Housing Box
12VDC Negative From PS Side Two = Lug on Metal Housing Box
Lug on Mill = Lug on Metal Housing Box
220V Ground on OUTPUT of VFD = Lug on Metal Housing Box
12VDC Negative Power Supply for VFD from it's circuit board  = Lug on Metal Housing Box
5VDC Negative Power Supply from BOB = Lug on Metal Housing Box
Shield Wire from Signal Cables for Limits Switches and Accessory Wires = Lug on Metal Housing Box
Shield Wire from Each Stepper Cable = Lug on Metal Housing Box

If the above is correct then the only thing I don't get is where you say to ground the Stepper Drivers, the Negative 72V going into it is from the Powersupply and I mention that above as grounded, do I need to tie in the A- and B- of the drivers that go to the steppers? Thanks.
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
Do NOT ground any signal wires coming from the VFD - that may blow up the VFD.  That supply should be floating.
Cable shields should be grounded to the device driving the signa wires.  So, cables coming from the BOB should have their shields grounded to the BOB ground terminals.
Not sure I'd bother shielding stepper cables.  The power supply wires to the stepper controllers should tie directly to the power supply terminals.  The - connections can go to your common ground point if that is very close (no more than a few inches) to the power supply.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.