Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:15:53 AM

Author Topic: How to use the Run From Here option.  (Read 16326 times)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: How to use the Run From Here option.
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
If the safe Z is set to machine coords and it is there already or higher it will not move but I dont know about other options, would think however they to would do that.

Hood

My safe Z is defined in work coordinates and the Z would go down if the safe Z calls for it.

Daniel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 07:47:47 AM »
Well there you go, RC, has proved again that RTFM is something I should really do ;D

Also thanks for the info Daniel, I have only ever used safe Z as machine coords so was unsure how it would behave in work or incremental.

Hood
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 08:02:18 AM »
Hood,
   Other than the most RARE of occasions, you are TFM !  :D
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 08:09:01 AM »
If I have done something I can usually recall, if I have heard someone do something I can usually recall, the sad (or really good) thing is Mach can do so much so there are bound to be things I have not done or not seen others do ;D

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »
sorry if I missed the answer here but when I had first time ever cause to use "run from here" yesterday it didn't behave as I expected.

2.5D job. zeroed Z on top surface. max cutting depth of job = -8mm. I'm at 3rd out of 4 passes at Z= -6mm. Bit brakes. I hit feedhold and change bit. I set next line to just before where the bit broke. I hit run from here and I get the prep moves diialog. X and Y cool. But Z set to -8 !!! - I don't think so. I edit the file removing all lines that have been done and just run it as a new program - works a treat.

Why would it set the prep Z to -8mm i.e. the max depth of the final pass when currently it's only at -6mm?

Cheers

Ian
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
It is messy for me, too.
And when I run a program with subroutines, I can forget the run from here option, even when I press feedhold, and want to press cycle start again, it will not do a thing :(

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »
The Run From Here was not designed to be used with subroutines as Mach has no way of knowing the iteration you want it to start from. I think you should be able to use the Run From Here from the main program though and when Mach will get to a subroutine it will execute it as the main program calls.

Ian, while most of the time the Run From Here works fine for me, sometimes it has its  quirks and I end up using various workarounds like you did. I have no idea why it would request a preparation move to that location. I also have these requests every now and then and can't figure it.

Daniel
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
I do not know if I am lame, or there is a bug somewhere...
MACH+SS

I select a line, click run from here.... then if offers some coordinates for preparation move, but then the the machine does some weird movements... what can be the reason? It is e.g. at Z 2... prep move is for Z 3 *and some x y movements are involved* but then it lowers the Z first DOWN... WHY? I have broken quite some tools already and damaged a few fixtures thinking logically, but seems I miss a point or... ?

Oh, not to mention, if I want a run from here option with a program with subroutines, (G52 shift before each sub call) then things become even more strange...

hm, if I go on a line and click run from here what is mach supposed to do?
I think it should run from beginning to figure out where it has to be, and the selected line is the one to be executed, so it should move to the position of the end of the previous line... no? or something similar at least....

Please give advice.

Thanks

I have learned too many times, from painful experience, that if Mach3 wants to make a preparatory move, you should be afraid.  Be very afraid.  It seems, more often than not, it will make some nonsensical move that quite often causes damage.  It often doesn't even go where the dialog says it's going to go, so there's no predicting what move it will actually make.  And, I've had it try to make prep moves with the tool buried in the part!  I always just stop the program, and use SetNextLine to re-start it.  The odd thing is, it'll often want to make prep moves when it's already where it needs to be!

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 12:57:42 PM »
Hi,

Same experience :(
So SET NEXT LINE is better (and works) i.s.o. Run from here? (did not dare testing it in live)
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 01:54:59 PM »
Hi,

Same experience :(
So SET NEXT LINE is better (and works) i.s.o. Run from here? (did not dare testing it in live)

SetNextLine works fine.  But YOU are responsible for making sure you start at a reasonable point in the program, and any required setup is done (fixture selection, mode settings, spindle/coolant on, etc.).  Mach will simply start executing from the specified line without so much as looking at the preceding code, so it neither knows nor cares whether the machine is in a suitable state to restart from that point.  You must ensure that.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.