Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:37:02 AM

Author Topic: Manual "Z" Axis wireless problem on Large Gantry on Mach installation  (Read 4715 times)

We have a large waterjet gantry that I am trying to convert to Mach & have found a Bluetooth wireless device for a pendant but my "Z" axis is manual only. It is wired to the BOB but it looks like it is wired to an isolated terminal, it looks like it doesn't have to be on the BOB at all. Is there a way to have the "Z" be manipilated by Mach with a Bluetooth device? It has to be pretty reliable, we don't want it to crash the head. I assume I have to add some electronic devise to be the communicator from Mach to the "Z" ??? Anyone gone through this before?

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Manual "Z" Axis wireless problem on Large Gantry on Mach installation
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »
I'm not an electronics guy so I can't help with your question.

My experience with wireless devices around the CNC controls has been scary. Both a wireless network adapter and the wireless Xbox controller completely compromised my system.

Your mileage may vary, but I suggest you proceed with caution . . .  and perhaps also with an oscilloscope.

Offline Bill_O

•  562 562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »
Steve,
I use a wireless logitech joystick. It works very well.
Bill
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:38:18 AM »
Bill:
Do you use them on the machines you build also?

Steve

Offline Bill_O

•  562 562
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »
Steve,
Yes. I send one with every cnc machine. For the most part they are very reliable. The only ones that appear to fail early are when they are left in a very, very dusty environment.
Bill
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 09:19:46 AM »
Bill:
I hope I can make myself clear here...
On our waterjet gantry we have a pendant with a "Z" momentary up & down toggle switch that is ALWAYS hot & can be moved at any time WHEN cutting or not when cutting. Can I use a the Logitech Joystick to continually bump the "Z" up & down manually WHEN cutting & not when cutting without Mach wanting to stop me from moving it? I am not an electronics person so I hope I made sense.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:29:18 AM by Steve_B »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »
There is a setting in Mach which I believe allows manual control of the Z axis, meant primaraly for Plasma machines, I have never used it so not sure how good it works. If however it does work then you could hook the Z axis up to outputs and activate these outputs withr screen buttons or depending on the way your pendant works you could probably have these buttons  activated by buttons on the pendant.
 Again I have never used it, just know its there but not how good it works, if at all ;)

Hood

vmax549

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »
YOU would have to develope a plugin that allowed the bluetooth device to talk to mach. THen setup the correct pins for the THC so you can enteract with the Z on the fly. Yes that function works VERY well for plasma.

WARNING,,,,, Wireless pendants are NOT a good idea with large heavy machines capable of crushing injuries and even death. UNLESS the device has been designed and tested for radio interference by the MANF. And they certify it to be safe in the working enviroment.

YOU have been WARNED (;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Bill_O

•  562 562
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
Steve,
As the people have stated above, I also do not know if it can be used while running a file. I would think there would be a way to do it though. You do have to be careful with wireless devices. The Logitech is a toy. The machines that I supply it with only go 600 in/min in any axis and the joystick only moves half of that. For the faster machines we make (1200 in/min and more) I do use a wired pendant.
Bill