Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:53:55 PM

Author Topic: 25 Pin Parallel Signal Tester with LED's for each pin WANTED  (Read 7189 times)

25 Pin Parallel Signal Tester with LED's for each pin WANTED
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:29:22 AM »
I have an old 2D system that I am wanting to convert to Mach. It uses 2 parallel cards to steppers like Mach & I would like to test the signals & maybe use my breakout board that I have on the system now. I have purchased & used a 9 pin serial tester with LED's in the past but have not found a 25 pin test plug with LED's to test a parallel signal. Is there a test device with LED's I can plug into a 25 pin parallel card to send a signal & find out the current pin assignment so I can use my present BOB?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Pin Parallel Signal Tester with LED's for each pin WANTED
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:40:56 AM »
I just made my own up, got a plug, soldered 3mm LEDs to each I/O pin and Gnd (actually just used the shell as the Gnd) Works great when testing out peoples XMLs as I can see at a glance what is what. A better way I suppose would be to route a PCB up but that takes too much time :D

Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:21:30 PM »
After Hood's comment I searched a long time & found this. No LED but this saves alot of work.
http://www.winford.com/products/brk25mf.php

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
Thats just a lazy way :D

Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
Thanks Hood for the direction....... I am new to this & every little bit helps. I sure want the switchover from Indexer to Mach to go smooth.

vmax549

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
IF someone wanted to develpoe this it would be nice to have LEDS for each active pin on the port and a set of push test switches to test the input side in mach .

Pluse the output to lite the led for output board  side and touch the switch to lite up the mach led on the input side

(;-0 TP

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »
One of my BOBs has an led at each pin. Makes the board pretty big, but I have found the leds to be invaluable. For inputs, you can simply take 5V from the BOB and touch the input pins on the BOB  and see which boxes light up on MACH diag screen.

For the money, I woudln't even bother doing research or making something up.

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=49

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »
I have 2 parallel ports. How do you read both? I guess 1 at a time?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:06:58 AM by Steve_B »
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
1 more question? How do I tell the difference between a CW CCW & Line move while testing signals?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
Cw or CCW is easy, either the LED is lit or its not, depends on which way you have the active low setting and motors wired as to which is which.
Not sure what you mean by Line, if step then you will either see the LED light or see it dimming depending on the active low setting you have.

Most BOBs have LEDs on them, or the two I have anyway.  I was thinking you were needing something just for testing purposes on your desktop computer  without having anything else hooked up.

Hood