Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:56:54 AM

Author Topic: Configuration problem with EStop  (Read 23805 times)

Configuration problem with EStop
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to Mach 3 and installing it for the first time. I am in section 3.1 of the "Mach3 CNC Controller Software Installation
and Configuration, Version 3" document when my results diverge from the described normal operation.
(I have run the driver test successfully.)

At the top of page 3-2, the document states, "Notice the red Reset button. It will have a flashing Red/Green LED
(simulation of a light emitting diode) above it and some yellow LEDs lit. If you click the button, then the yellow LEDs
will go out and the flashing LED turns to solid green. Mach3 is ready for action!"

My screen does not have the yellow LEDs described (apparently due to the latest version of the software differing from what the
documentation describes), but I don't know if that's contributing to my root problem. Upon start up, I get a message that says,
"no shuttle detected of type selected" error. When I click the Reset button, it sends an "External Estop requested" message,
but it doesn't stop the button from flashing.

The next paragraph of the document state the following:
If you cannot reset, then the problem is probably something plugged into your parallel port or ports (a “dongle” perhaps),
or the PC has previously had Mach3 installed on it with an unusual allocation of port pins to the Emergency Stop (EStop signal).
By clicking on the Offline button you should be able to reset the system.

In my case, nothing is plugged into the parallel port, and neither has my machine previously had mach3 installed.
Furthermore, I cannot find the referenced "Offline button" to reset the system. I am not sure what to try next, and I suspect that
version differences may be contributing to my confusion.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dana Haukoos

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Configuration problem with EStop
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:54:59 PM »
In the Ports and Pins, Input signals, change the active low setting for the Estop.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:05:05 PM »
Hi, Dana

In Config, Ports & Pins, Inputs, E-Stop change the "check" to "X", See pic.

Chip
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:09:01 PM by Chip »
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:35:25 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Gerry & Chip!

I did change the active low setting for the EStop per Gerry's post, and that solved the problem.

Curiously, my setup is now different that the image that Chip posted, as I originally had an "X" and I
changed it to a "Check". The other differences are that in my table, the Index input is disabled ("X"),
and the Estop is set to Port #1 and Pin Number 10. I'm sure once I get to the part of the manual that
describes configuration of the pins I'll have a better sense of what I'm working with here.

Chip, I noticed your listed as based in Gainesville, FL - Go Gators! I'm just south of you in Mount Dora, FL
and a Gator myself.

Thanks again to you both,

Dana
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »
Hi Guys,
I too am new to Mach3, and am experiencing the same problem.
I have two PCs loaded with Mach3:
PC"A" runs Vista, is connected to the internet, but not to the Router. Mach3 on this PC apears to run OK.
PC"B" runs XP and is ONLY connected to the router.  Originally, I could not get the Reset button to reset the system. Hitting the Estop did not help.  I figured out the same remedy and  suggested in this topic (reversing the logic for the estop on pin 10), BUT:
The estop does not function, nor do any of the limit switches!  This occurs both with the printer cable connected, and also when not connected

It is too easy now to allow the head to run the full length of the slide (X, Y, and Z), continue past the limit switch and into the router frame!!! :(

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »
Sounds like your E-Stop wiring or setup in ports and pins is not correct.
If you attach your xml I will have a look and see if there is a problem ther.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 11:45:47 PM »
I am also new to Mach3, and am experiencing the same problem.

I runs XP and is ONLY connected to the router.  Originally, I could not get the Reset button to reset the system. Hitting the Estop did not help... I tried everything but nothing seems to work. I tried to make Active Low in Ports and Pins but the Estop sign gone however, now the Job is not moving physically but only the numbers moving on the screen in Mach3... Please suggest

Faisal from Houston
visuallletters5@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 12:08:23 AM »
Hi,
run DriverTest.exe and take a screen shot and post it please.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 12:52:01 AM »
Hi,
just read your intro in another thread, are you using a parallel port or a USB external motion
controller?

From your intro I understand that you are doing your best to run a business with Mach3.
All development on Mach3 ceased about five years ago in favour of Mach4. Mach4 is very much more stable
than Mach3. Unfortunately as you are running a business you would be required to purchase an Industrial licence
at $1400...eventually. In the mean time you can download Mach4, either Hobby or Industrial for free and run
it in demo mode for free.

When trying to run a business the less hardware/software issues you have the better chance of making a profit,
Mach4 could be a good way forward for you.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »
  Unfortunately as you are running a business you would be required to purchase an Industrial licence
at $1400...eventually.

This is inaccurate and I wanted to clarify for anyone else who may be running a business (large or small) and considering changing to Mach4. You do not need to buy Mach4Industrial if you are running a business. As a business, you can use a Hobby license but we do require you to purchase one license per machine you will be using. That being said, there is limited support with Mach4Hobby so if that is something you think you will need for your business, an Industrial license does come with free phone support as well as priority email support. I hope that helps!

-Bryanna
Newfangled Solutions Helpdesk: http://support.machsupport.com
YouTube Support Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MachSupportOfficial