Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:42:06 PM

Author Topic: Random -Z (going down WAY too far!!!)  (Read 14096 times)

Re: Random -Z (going down WAY too far!!!)
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 08:45:06 PM »
Ok here it is again...I do't generally save Lcam files so I just re-did all the settings I always do. Hardly a lot to remember in the free Lcam as half the functions don't work.

The only thing I didn't do was sequence the cuts as that takes a while
(please tell me if I buy Lcam that auto-clean/optimize actually display a LOGICAL cut order?? Right now it certainly does not)

Thanks, Rich

vmax549

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »
Rich that file looks just like the other one I don,t see any of the layer info. The reason you are getting odd cut orders is that you have lines that do not connect with the rest of the chain. This cuase Lcam to treat them as separate sepments NOT as part of the chain. Thus it cuts it as a separate chain.
Some of your segments connect fully and are one chain others are not. I believe your diving to depth is cause by a missed segment when you are setting up the depth of cut and the tool number stays AT tool0.  IF you look at the settings for tool0 I believe you will find the same numbers as the Z showed in your bad file.

As a rule you cannot use tool0.

Just a thought (;-) TP
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 10:12:06 PM »
In free Lcam you only get ONE layer for depth selection and it is impossible to connect lines.
(and I ALWAYS "snap" lines thorougly in my CAD)

How does separate chains matter for depth if I am only able to set ONE depth anyway? To my knowledge (severely limited as it is) the ONLY difference that would make is extra rapids....isn't it??

I always set the tool in the layers section, and never set it in the offsets (again, offsets is another option that is useless in FREE Lcam, in mine anyway)

I see what you are saying but if that's the case how could i have cut multiple designs (prety much same design and settings) prior to this without this problem?

I am lost....
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 10:17:52 PM »
Sorry if I sound pi$$y guys, this is just very frustrating :(

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 10:36:18 PM »
Hi, Rich

I was able to see the problem on both Lset files, But with one Clean & Optomize buttons use and setting Cut depth and Set Layer & Set to All Layers it posted the G code fine hear.

You can have Multi Layers and use Clean & Opto also.

This is with my Lcam Lic. turned OFF, Hears a file with your outer cut's deeper.

Chip
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
Thanks I'll go out to the garage and look at this right now...

So if you can fix it in your Lcam then your are essentially saying the ridiclous -Z value is coming from my CAD then??

My auto-clean and optimize do work (well, they do something) but I always have to re-do the cut sequencing manually as it sends the rapids all over the place when there are lines right next to each other it can cut.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »
Hi, Rich

LazyCam dose the best it can with your file, Try changing the Load Options some.

Chip
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »
OK, I just ran this and it did work, thank you, and I see now the multiple layers/depths was just my novice lack of understanding.

BUT this still doesn't show where the astronomical -Z values were coming from...I can assure you I never typed in -Z in the thousands!! LOL ...
(I did notice in the G-code the bad line was the only -Z value that was NOT preceded by a G!....that must mean something...?)

PS - I am assuming u let Lcam decide the cut order of the chains?
I see yor file also adds a LOT travel for the bit that is completely unnecessary like mine does ...doing it manualy sucks But it's either more time on that, or more time for the actual cutting.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 11:33:31 PM »
Hi, Rich

Post your DXF for this file. I'll look at a bit more, Where do you live.

Chip
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »
Thanks, I'l have to go through my mountain of DXF to find the orignally messed up one I should post it in the AM as I am off tomorrow.

I am in Tampa.

Thanks again.