Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:29:43 AM

Author Topic: Second probe?  (Read 20960 times)

Second probe?
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:11:20 PM »
Can I add a second probe using a secondary parallel port?
The problem I am having is that one probe has to be active high (NC) and the other is active low (NO).
I also have no clue how to add this to the ports and pins; as there is only one selectable probe.??? Can I assign something else as a probe?
Thanks,
Ken
Regards,
Ken
Re: Second probe?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »
I am curious about this as well, I have both a tool probe and a part probe and would like to leave the tool probe dedicated and also have the part probe ready to go on a whim without having to change things all the time in settings. I have them both wired in to my second port, no problem. Mach has the Digitize setting, but wouldn't it be best to have some appropriate name for the tool probing to eliminate any problems with mach's innards.
CRUISER
  Don

vmax549

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »
IF both probes use the same format NC or NO then you can run as many as you like. THe NC would run in series and the NO would run parallel. But as a mixed batch  NO. Mach only has one probe input that I am aware of.

You could always use a relay to convert one of your probes formats.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:11:57 PM »
Parallel ! I didn't think of that ! So just run both on same pin and since they won't be used at same time ! OK ! Right now I have them on seperate pins and just use the tool probe manual, don't have a tool touch macro yet, still looking and learning on that one. In fact I'd really appreciate an easy start on that one. The threads I've seen on that so far were works in progress and sounded scary ! besides I don't understand what they are doing yet or why.
CRUISER
  Don
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply TP.
I was afraid of that :'( I have another NC probe on the way from Arnie now.
Regards,
Ken

vmax549

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »
HIYA DON, THere are many ways it has been done. Pick your poison(method) and we can help you get it up and running.

Or at least describe how you want it to work (;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »
Thanks TP
I've been giving it some thought, and started making a study of another probe cycle. What I see is that the machine it is used for has Z zero set at home switch. Mine is set with zero at spindle face kissing table top. I intend to have a pinned position for the tool probe at somewhere in the X+ extent and centered on a rib on Y. The position is not set yet. I change tools by hand and have the tormac tool system, plus I use some other R-8 tools. I have and can use a G28 position for tool chng. What I have been thinking is for a general first pass probe cycle using tool's height, and follow up with a second and real probe at reduced feed to set new height. First probe is thought to find any mistakes in tool initial setting then correct etc. I have considered making some kind of swing-out tool probe, but so far don't think I'd be able to trust it fully. My thoughts are to start somewhere and learn as I go. As mentioned, The routines so far are all set WRONG side of Zed ! As I said too, lots too learn about how VB is put together and what is what pertaining to Mach. I'm starting to make some sense the code and will start simple and grow with it !
Well, this is the plan and Yes I would really appreciate any and all help in getting me started, If I had a better code to start with I'd erase the one I'm looking at now and not miss it for sure.
Thanks

PS. I changed wires for my two probes this morning to parrallel, not tried yet, but I know it be OK !  So simple that I couldn't see it !
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 05:25:17 PM by Cruiser »
CRUISER
  Don

vmax549

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »
Probably best in your case to start from scratch.

Take a blank sheet of paper and write down IN ORDER how you think you want it to work. ONE line at a time each move or process being a new line.

NORMALLY once you have it worked out on paper HOW you  want it to work it is a simple process to code it. Then test it, debug it, tune it and you are done.(;-)

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 05:37:44 PM by vmax549 »
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »
I thought I'd better clear up something here, I tried the parallel with the probe but didn't think about if it was NO or NC ! parallel don't work with the Minear probe. So, It is going to be either series or separate pins and find a way around the fact of only one input for digitizing. I would imagine that there must be a way of assigning another unused input as the tool's probe and leave the digitzing input for the rest of probing or digitizing. I read somewhere that it can't be done, but I just don't buy that. It would also make sense to me that the tool's probe would be the logical choice to reassign if one were to be.
CRUISER
  Don
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »
Don, I am also using a dedicated tool setter probe that I don't want to move, but I also want to have another spindle probe to do center/ and or edge finding. I see no reason these both cant be used on the same port since they wont be active at the same time. My problem was that I was trying to use one normally open and one normally closed probe, but if they are both the same, I don't see a problem. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Ken
Regards,
Ken