Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:07:51 PM

Author Topic: Lathe spindle brake  (Read 16896 times)

Re: Lathe spindle brake
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 03:32:07 AM »
You tried the optomisation steps detailed on the downloads page?
Hood
Hi Hood,

I went through the optimisations steps - I'll run thro again in case I missed anything.

A more positive note - using another PC, the Viper 200s are working well. I have done as much tuning of the PID as I can just cutting air.
Generaly, it is looking very good, just need to sorth the "blasted" PC :-)

ATB
Derek
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 10:33:14 AM »
You tried the optomisation steps detailed on the downloads page?
Hood

Hi Hood,

Went throught the optimisation steps again (properly this time!) and set the PC option to Standard PC in device manager.....ta darrrr !
Now works fine.
The M3 M5 macro to control the brake was stil not working so I reloaded mach and this is now functioning perfectly. (must have scrambled something when I had a few crashed running the driver test.

Entering M3 or M5 in the MDI line works fine too.

The only thing I have noticed is that the brake is not released if I start the spindle using the icon (in manual or auto screen) and ignores the delay I have programmed in the M3 macro. However the stop spindle icon does control the brake as required.
Does the icon run a different macro from that used by M3?

We have run a quick test to cut some "real metal" 
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together :-)
Thanks for your help, we're chuffed to bits!

ATB
Derek

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 10:49:58 AM »
:) yep its great when everything works out.
 Not sure about the button for start, would have thought it would just use the M3 macro but maybe not. Easy to fix by opening the screenset in screen4 and double clicking on the button and changing it to a VB button.  Best to save the screenset with a different name as if you dont and upgrade Mach your changes will be overwritten. After that then go into Mach and View menu then load screens and choose your renamed screen. Next Operator menu then Edit Button Scripts, that button should be flashing, click on it and then enter the VB you want into the button and close and it should now work as planned :)
Hood

Oh forgot to say you will need to change the start button on the other pages as well.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:52:46 AM by Hood »
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 12:59:30 PM »
Easy to fix by opening the screenset in screen4 and double clicking on the button and changing it to a VB button. 
After that then go into Mach and View menu then load screens and choose your renamed screen.
Next Operator menu then Edit Button Scripts, that button should be flashing, click on it and then enter the VB you want into the button and close and it should now work as planned :)
Hood

Hi hood,

I'll have a go at that once I have worked out what I am going to have a go at!

ATB
Derek
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 08:52:14 AM »
Bit more to do, mainly to the homing limits.
I might try to use the Z channel from the encoder in "series" with the slide switch to provide an accurate home / reference position.

Here is a quick photo.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9465/img6551.jpg
ATB
Derek
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:55:24 AM by derekbpcnc »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »
Looks good.
Does that tool post index or is it just a standard dickson?
Is the lathe based on a Student? Looks a bit smaller than a Triumph.

Hood
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »
Looks good.
Does that tool post index or is it just a standard dickson?
Is the lathe based on a Student? Looks a bit smaller than a Triumph.
Hood

Hi Hood,

The Lathe is a Master 600 (ex college with very low milage)
the tool post is a standard Dickon (manual change jobbie)
I have an indexer from an automated assembley machine that I might have a go at fitting as a tool turret now it's been upgraded to mach. The indexer is solid and very accurate.
It has 6 positions, so I can fit 6 turning tools + 6 boring / drills + possible to fit gang toling in some positions.... (thinks crawl first before running ;-) )

ATB
Derek
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:01:49 AM by derekbpcnc »
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 01:57:41 PM »
Not sure if it helps but my mill has a pure hardware braking solution - the brake (1)  contactor has a delay module on top which waits 250 ms when triggered, so the brake comes off, and 250ms later the spindle contactor (2) is triggered to start the spindle. The brake reapplies instantly if the spindle is shut off.

Reversing is similar, the reversing contactor (3) is triggered by an output, and as it closes it triggers the brake contactor (1) which triggers the spindle contactor (2) as normal and completes the circuit.

This way at least you can keep the software side simple and rely on dumb mechanical stuff to do the essentials.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »
The auto changer will make a huge difference, I couldnt imagine using my lathe without it ( or should I say them ;) )
 I dont have it yet but I am getting another turret from my friend who is scrapping a bullard lathe, I will replace the front toolpost so I will end up with front and rear turrets :)

Hood
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »
The auto changer will make a huge difference, I couldnt imagine using my lathe without it ( or should I say them ;) )
 I dont have it yet but I am getting another turret from my friend who is scrapping a bullard lathe, I will replace the front toolpost so I will end up with front and rear turrets :)

Hood

Hi Hood / Blue Pin'

I think I will try controlling the brake via the VFD... although it is disconnected at the moment and the VFD is not complaining.

Picked up a tool turret this week. 8 position Duplomatic. I will make a small PLC control for this and select the tool number using I/O from a Pokeys expansion board.
Duplomatic sent me a pdf of the tech manual - the wiring looks simple enough.

I'l post a few picks on a new thread .
ATB
Dekre.