Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:34:39 PM

Author Topic: 5 Axis Frame Building  (Read 9650 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
5 Axis Frame Building
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:09:49 AM »
Hey folks, thought I'd show some progress with my design.  I've got the frame getting set up which is pretty cool.  The electronics are all done, just getting the frame and mechanics set up.  The rails are ordered (hiwin) and should be in, in about a week.  I'll be ordering ballscrews this weekend.  Next, I'll be machining some custom plates to hold it all together.

Anyway, first image is the my CAD design, then comes the frame in it's somewhat coming glory.

Barry

Re: 5 Axis Frame Building
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
Looks like a lot more fun than the old Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys or the Erector Set.  Lot more useful too.  Looks great!!

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:03:19 PM »
Good Start Barry, where did you end up ordering your linear bearings? Also what will you be cutting with that amount of Z travel?
Looks like a great start , I am still waiting on parts now for mine..
Gary

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »
I ended up ordering from Automation4Less.com.  I'm going to mainly cut wood, some aluminum, and less yet, foam.

This has been such a long standing project, it's nice to see it coming together finally.  Btw, the spindle came in on Tuesday.  I didn't realize I'd need to buy the chuck separately.  That's a big difference between industrial vs home depot equipment.

Barry

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »
Which spindle did you get for it?

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »
I got the HSD MT1073 1.5 KW.  Can't wait to hook it up.  Of course that's the last step of the process;)

Barry

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
Barry any progress on the router, Intested in seeing the 5 axis getting built..
I am getting a little closer to my build
Gary
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »
Where did you order the spindle from?

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
I've got the t-slot table on now, as well as the door built.  The spindle and rails have come in, but I haven't ordered the ballscrews, and end caps yet.  I'll do that this weekend.  The shipping dept at my work didn't like handling the rails when they came in.  They are really heavy and awkward.

The rails are from automation4less.com.  The spindle and VFD is direct from HSD USA.  If you plan on ordering from HSD, plan on hand holding it all the way through.  I can't tell you how many times I had to call back, and they lost my order more than once.  I don't think they are used to dealing with small shops.

I'll post a pict this weekend with the door and t-slot table done.  Btw, my machine should be 6 axis eventually, as I'll mount a sixth axis on the table, but for my initial build it's 5.  That should be enough for now;)

The build is going slow as I do have OT for my day job.  Soon I'll be able to devote more time though.

Barry

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:26:28 AM »
looks good!!

Where is your 4th and 5th axis,  I see the two motors for your X, and the two motors for your Z, and the one for your Y,  but where is your A rotory, and B rotary?  are you slaving your X motors?, you have a double Z, will they operate independantly or slaved?
Do you mean five axis cause you have 5 motors?  Usually the 4th and 5th will be a rotational axis each around one of the other 3 linear axis....

You said you are using Metal sheeting to bolt to your Extruded AL, how do you like working with the AL, is it high priced, how stiff is it?

I like your double Z, will your CAM write to a Z and a W for the compound Z axis?

You really did a super nice job on that AL frame.......  Man that looks great!!! Are you for hire?..............heheheheh

scott
fun times