Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:50:36 AM

Author Topic: 5 Axis Frame Building  (Read 9651 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Axis Frame Building
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »
Hi Scott, I'm using two motors for the X axis only.  All the other axis have one motor.  It's a bit deceiving, since the B/C drive head has it's own motors.  On the table in that picture, there were only 6 motors though even with the B/C drive head, so yes, there was one missing.  That one will be the A axis that I'll mount to the table.  Since I won't be ready to add that for a while, I haven't even ordered it.

It took me a while to see what you mean by double Z.  I believe you are looking at two pieces of extruded aluminum.  They don't slide against each other.  They offset to save on weight, and to give room for one of the motors on the B/C head.  They are fixed together.

Thanks about the frame.  I did the design in CAD, and brought it to the 80/20 distributor in my area.  All the cuts and axis holes were machined by 80/20 and they shipped it to me as a kit.  As for price, if it's a simple frame and small gantry alone, the price to do it in steel and hire a welder is way cheaper.  When I showed my design, that had storage underneath, the top portion surrounded by glass, and has an axis door, the price was about the same.  I opted for using aluminum over steel after that, since I could be assured that the cuts would be nearly perfect from 80/20, and that I could build it and maintain it myself.  I can tell you though, it's not cheap.  Nothing about cnc is cheap, I'm finding out! 

Barry
Re: 5 Axis Frame Building
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »
Hi Barry,

"Nothing about cnc is cheap, I'm finding out!"

Man you got that right!!!   ;)

Greg