Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:41:30 AM

Author Topic: Galil 2133 or DSPMC/IP Motion Controller?  (Read 11597 times)

Galil 2133 or DSPMC/IP Motion Controller?
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:38:34 AM »
 ??? I need to know what is better suited for running Mach3 the Galil 2133 or DSPMC/IP Motion Controller?

I bought a huge CNC Router on eBay for $999, it is a Shinx vintage 1991, it has an old Epson 286-U computer.

I was told this has analog drivers + - 10 volts.

I was going to buy a used Galil on eBay but I need support so I might buy new either directly for Galil or the DSPMC/IP configured from Machmotion.

The galil setup as I want will run approx $1500 and the Machmotion DSPMC/IP is $2550.

What concerns me is getting trhe Shinx operating correctly with full functionality (raising and lowering the pnuematic actuated spindles and drills).

Camsoft wants $7000 but I will stick with Mach3  ;)

I'm not rich

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Galil 2133 or DSPMC/IP Motion Controller?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
Galil is FAR superior as a motion controller, with Mach3, in my opion.
Kenny and Steve have also made major strides in tailoring the plugin,
so that you can use it with just about any Galil card you find.

scott
fun times

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
Yes, the Galil will be perfect.  Galil for the motion, ModBus for any extra I/O.  Get an extra axis on the Galil if you want to control the spindle.  Or maybe you can do spindle control over ModBus.  Scott can probably answer that.

Steve
Using existing Micrex-F PLC?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:44:44 PM »
Can I use the existing PLC? It is a Micrex-F. If I can it will save me a lot of time and money, I don't know diidly squat about PLC. I just need to use the router the thought of having to learn PLC i :( my plate is pretty full. Can I pull the Micrex's eprom to copy and use the code for the RIO? The Micrex is all wired up and coded so if I could use it it would be good.

I have the programming manual for writing the g code for the router and it has the list of m code commands to insert for the g-code. 

The The Micrex-F is a FPB56 and the expansion module is a FTB32

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »
Robert,

To get into that PLC you would need to find the programming software.... to see what it is doing for you machine. If mach is to control it, you would need
to hook to it via Serial or Ethernet coms, you would need to also find out, if it would take RTU Modbus communications for control.

I am NOT trying to discourage you in any way, but, unless you have the software to see what that PLC is suppossed to do, OR, you have the Electrical CADs that show the Ladder rung program in the PLC. You are kinda screwed.

Looking at your machine you will have to write custom UP/DOWN macros for each spindle head, and possibly 4 individual spindle speed/on/off control macros as well,
and a customized screen set to reflect that.  (Look in the Finished Plugins section of this forum, there is a 3 Spindle plugin control I did with screen set that you can download and use to get an idea of what I am talking about).

Realistically: It would probably be better for you to Pull that PLC and sell it on Ebay, and Get you some other PLC (Automation Direct etc.), that you would have better control over.  Unless you can find the programming software for that PLC and add a communication module to talk to Mach3.

You would also need to consider the IO for the: Vacuum system (if it has one), Tool changing (ATC if it has one), external physical button controls.
The CAM that you use will need to be able to post out the M codes that represent the state of your router heads......

scott
fun times
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »
 :'( Lord have mercy! I want to thank you guys for all your help. I'll get this bugger going, a lot of this is new to me I'm just trying to find the shortest path to the promised land. The programming software is Fuji Flex, I have found a copy with a programmer for the eprom for approx $250. About the RTU Modbus I don't know I'll find out, it's not easy determining this information for a newbie like me.

I have the manual with the M-codes for the various operations the PLC performs. For example If I want to use spindle 3 at 18000 rpms the code is listed for that and all the other functions.

Yes I do need to be able to turn the Vacuum on via the controller. No tool changer.

I use Mastercam X3, can that handle posting the M codes?

Thanks for all the help.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
I am not new to this forum, but became discouraged trying to use it some time ago. Where is the post button? This quick reply is the only link I have found to post?
Any way Does the Galil plugin work with the dmc 1500?

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:02:11 AM »
If you select "new topic", it starts a topic in the forum.  In this case, the Galil forum.  This will let you start your own topic.  You need to be where the list of topics are to do this (up a level).  Meaning not inside a topic like here.  But if you are reading a topic (like this one), either the quick reply or the "reply" button will let you post
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 08:47:10 AM »
Thank you sir. Also I was able to dig around and find my other answers about 1500 Galil. Looks like I am going to have to switch over to my 1860 board.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:34:33 PM »
Hi all
  The DMC-1860 card did the trick with Mach3 but I am having trouble with the plug in. Cant seem to be able to get spindle output from my 3rd axis on a turn program. Also the estop is not working. I have read all the documents posted about the configuration of the plug in but it does not say how to set up a 0-10 v sig for spindle control without an encoder on it. Also it says to use inputs that do not exist in the Mach3 inputs configuration. Is there a new document that describes how this plug in works. I read that it uses the data record for input and can understand that. How does it and what does it output to the controller. Does it sent Galil commands? I need HELP
Thanks in advance