Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:20:34 PM

Author Topic: My New Router Gantry Build  (Read 27822 times)

Re: My New Router Gantry Build
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »
Yeah Gary,  I've got a place close by that sells that kind of stock for fence building.  They have good prices as well.  I think they have everything from 1/2" up 4"

Greg

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 06:16:11 PM »
OK a few more things done and gettin closer to assembly, still need to order hi-win rail , keep forgetting to do that during the day and still dread 200 for 1 rail but still cant find one cheaper  :( Don't talk too bad about my welding a lot of bad angles and it is only spot welded mostly now I am going to grind and finish the welds then paint it up..The bottom of the table is at 25 1/2" leg length so I can fit under it and get material in and out without help. You might have noticed in one of the pics that's me in the wheelchair , and that's one of the reasons the build is going so slow ,PLUS it has been in the low 90s this week now that the rain stopped....
I hope the gussets will be strong enough and also I might add a few more of the 1 by tubing's  for the spoilboard support these are 13 5/8 OC now so I might just add a few gussets just to stiffing it up a bit but the table is gettin heavy as it is now for me to heave around as it is ..I might add a set of those wheels with the leaver that drops them totally up or down  so if I need to move it it would be a whole lot easier for me.. The gantry weight probably 75 pounds now ..So going to need to gear down he servos but will do that when I get to that point..
OK enough jabbering about it just want to keep records of this build for myself as well..
Gary

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 11:11:24 PM »
Looks good Gary, thanks for the pics. I would definitely get a good set of poly casters. I thought about getting some locking pads for mine too, but just having it on casters alone has not presented a problem or need for them, yet. I have almost everything in my shop on casters, and it sure does make shop tasks a whole lot easier! Best of luck with it, keep us updated and fed with pics.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 11:45:04 PM »
Sam thanks for the info also do you think it would need more 1 inch crossbracing or 45 degree gussets on the 1 " crossbracing for strength?. I have about 12 feet left but dont want too much overkill ...
Thanks
Gary

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »
There's no such thing as overkill as far as I'm concerned. What you've got there already should support a spoil board, and project weight, I would think.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »
Here is the table gettin closer,,needs another can of paint now..

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 11:56:23 PM »
Hey Gary, did you end up ordering from automation4less.com?  I was going to order rails from their sister site automationoverstock.com today, but I'm getting a warning of: "Reported Attack Site" from my browser.  Looking for that reputable dealer, like I'm sure you are too.

Anybody else like to pipe in?

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 12:26:56 AM »
I got a note from them...

"You are, no doubt, a person who (like me) uses Firefox browser.  This is an old problem, but it is exacerbated with the newest version of Firefox and a rather "unique" bedfellow they have developed in Google.
Our host company is working to rectify the problem (which has just reared its head today), but essentially it revolves around "shared" hosting accounts.  Our websites are on the same servers as some other companies.  The secure server is an entirely different entity, but if Google (they're the ones that spider the websites/servers) perceives anything at all in a page or scripting of ANYONE'S website on a shared server, they brand everyone as an "attack site."  What is really stupid about this is that if you go to our site using Microsoft Internet Explorer, there's no problem whatsoever.  It's kind of like having a criminal living on your street and thus the entire neighborhood is branded as a criminal.  Only in this case, if I'm to believe our host, the "crime" is pretty benign.  Something to do with one of their other customers having some sort of live customer chat/support.  I'm sure the host will have no choice other than to shut down that website if not the application so the rest of us can get back to business as usual.  But before that can happen, the host must prove to Google that it's "clean."  In the meantime, the 85+ % of people out there using Microsoft Internet Explorer have no problems at all.

Hopefully it will all be resolved in a day or so...that's what our host says.  In the meantime, you can call and give the CC information if you wish, or just use a browser other than Firefox.

Sorry for the inconvenience."

I am using Firefox, so maybe he's right...

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 07:44:45 AM »
Thanks Barry,
  I ordered the rail from them last night actually,,I had not noticed any security problems and I have emailed them a few times over the past 3 or 4 months about the rail, since the rail that I need is not an older discontinued model I had to order from the main site automation4less not the overstock site which sells the older but new equipment.
 I  have always received email from the same manager from either site and received a confirmation email last night on the  order..And like you said they do have a phone # to call as well which I have used in the past..
  The internet is getting real bad about security anymore thanks for the information.Also the overstock section sells a lot on eBay as well that is where I found them in the past looking for the newer rail I need..
Gary

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 08:06:33 PM »
OK Back again , had a virus on the computer and had to re-format and get things put back on the computer, luckily I had a back-up of most of my stuff,,
  I got the rail in from automation 4 less today and set the gantry on the table with clamps , I need to get some very short metric screw tomorrow but the gantry moves really smooth..
  I didn't get an actual measurement but it seems like it takes less than 2 or 3 pounds to get the gantry moving and where the table is setting with a few degree down slope in the driveway the gantry will almost start moving on its own, I m real happy so far with the results , I need to get the rails lined up and start bolting it down then measrue for the ballscrews, I am going to go ahead and put 2 ballscrews through the bottom tubing on both sides of the gantry to keep it lined up without any chance of racking..
 Here are the pictures from today's progress..