Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:23:00 PM

Author Topic: My New Router Gantry Build  (Read 27823 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: My New Router Gantry Build
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »
When you get it running you can kind of figure out what works best for you by trial and error. Just pick up a couple more timing pulleys that you can swap out with what you have. If you can find some that will give you something in the range of 3:1 and 4:1 it will give you a good idea what works best for you.

Just a thought...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »
Now I need to know where to find the gears and a close up of how the mountings are made.  :D

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 05:36:46 PM »
GAW , there are a lot of places on e-bay but I get mine local at a bearing place in Ft. Pierce they have a lot of stuff at fairly good prices and I will attach a drawing but it will need to be opened with BobCad V23 to view it..I changed it to a DXF file and also added the MACH3 file if you want to just dry run it to see how it is..
  I don't know if I can post it as a reg picture but will try..Also I was holding on to the gantry plates while running a back and fourth and up and down simple program and held on to the axis and could not stop it or barley even slow it down so there is plenty of torque , just would like a little more speed but I doubt I will be cutting anything over 175 IPM with it anyway...
here are some files , and any files you want or need just ask I have all of them in my bobcad files in case i need to re-make them ,,, I can also send them in Mach3 files and all are cut with a .250  2 flute carbide bit fairly slow because of slop in my bridgemill from shoptask..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:45:43 PM by Garyv »
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »
Cool,  I'll have to take a look.  I've got a machine that came with 2 motors for the "X" axis and I'd like to make it one motor and belt drive the 2 drive points.

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 01:54:54 PM »
Here are few better pictures of the Y and Z mounts also I mounted the router , got it on sale at sears variable speed ,led lights iluminate the part and soft start for $90 bucks..Hope it cuts OK but at least it has the same 3.5 diameter as most routers so I can change it out if need be..

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »
looks really great, congrats.  there are so many talented people on this site, great inspiration!

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration guys,  really been wanting to do this build for a few years now , but lost my job a while back is giving me more time to work on it..I am wanting to get this done so I can try and make some extra cash for bills and all, I already do some custom work for a friend of mine in the marine industry he is a big boat captain and he throws work my way as often as he can and will be able to send more my way when I get this router finished, I built a custom tackle cabinet for a 45 Hatteras last month but had to do it mostly on a table saw and if I get the router done it will cut my time done by hours..He already wants 2 more done when they get back from the Bahamas also a few control panels as well..
   I Started the router table base today went and got the metal this afternoon and tried some welding in the dark so I gave it up for the night already 9 pm..getting too dark to see my beads so I screwed up a few and will have to do some grinding in the morning..Problem is I don't feel like working until after 4 or 5 pm , got to get out of that habit and just put up with the rain and heat and get it finished.. I will try to post pictures if I get anything done tomorrow..
Thanks for the input on the build guys,
Gary

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 02:18:09 PM »
OK taking a break at 2 its gettin hot out there welding in the sun..Here are a few pictures from building the table. going to finish the welds and put some legs on the table later...crossbraces are 1 in square tubing set 1 at the bottom so I can use a 3/4" spoilboard and swap out when needed.. Going together quicker than I thought though..
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:24:43 PM by Garyv »
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
Looks great and now I'm getting inspired to build me a foam cutter using square tubing rather than aluminum.  I've got to get some of the HONEY-DO listr out of the way first.

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
GAW , really the steel tubing is WAY cheaper than aluminum, easier to weld so you don't have to bolt everything , I picked up a 24 ft length of 2x2 and a 24ft piece of 1 x 1" at the steel supply and was less than 70 bucks total,  that included 6 bucks for an extra cut to get it into my truck in 3 pieces.I am using the 14 gauge tubing so it is tough but gets a little heavy after a while..
Gary