Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:11:52 AM

Author Topic: Lost communication with PLC after SS instal  (Read 11894 times)

Lost communication with PLC after SS instal
« on: May 20, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
My apologies for posting a SS related question in the general forum but I was afraid with the limited traffic in the SS forum my post there might get overlooked and I need to turn a bunch of parts tommorow.

I installed a smooth stepper board yesterday and have almost everything up and working nicely, but since the instal Mach will no longer communicate wuth the PLC that operates my tool changer . What do I need to look at or change to get Mach to communicate with the PLC?
Re: Lost communication with PLC after SS instal
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 07:45:57 PM »
First question, how are you communicating with your PLC

Cheers,

Peter.
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:53:16 PM »
modbus via the serial port , db9 on the back of the pc
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:30:13 PM by panaceabeachbum »
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Well I said everything was working properly but I cant get the VFD dialed in or anywhere close to the rpm called out. I can adjust the pulse lenght and get it to turn at the speed called out in one range but then its off by as much as 50% just 100 rpm either side of where its tuned.
I have been using the vfd to control the spindle motor for about a year and had it dialed in within 10rpm of the speed called out across the entire range , from 50 rpm thru 1700 rpm . How or why has the instalation of the ss and drivers caused problems with the output to my vfd?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »
Is there a simple setting that will allow me to once again have mach communicate with the PLC after the install of the SS board?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 02:12:04 AM »
Sorry cant help with the VFD as I have never used one on either the SS or the PP.
I use a PLC and have never had a problem with it and the SS shouldnt interfere in any way, make sure you have the correct settings for the serial modbus.
 Did you make a new profile?
If you are desperate it should just be a 2 second job to hook it back up to the parallel port to get things running then when you have more time you can try again.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 07:18:20 AM »
thanks Hood, i did hook the Parallel port back up and everything is running fine. I did create a new profile for the SS . Do the serial modbus settings need to be reconfigured for the new profile?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:32:30 AM »
looking at the serial modbus setup page the setting all seem to be the same , between the pp and ss configurations , I am wondering if there is a check box somewhere I have overlooked

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:04 AM »
Not that I can remember, the SS should not have any affect on the serial modbus at all.
If you attach your xml I will look and see if I can find a problem.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 08:21:20 AM »
I am trying to attach the xml files and I keep getting an error message stating an attachment with the same name has already been posted, when i rename the xml and attempt to post I get an error message stating I have already posted the message