Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:21:19 AM

Author Topic: My first attempts at laser engraving.  (Read 91524 times)

Re: My first attempts at laser engraving.
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 08:16:45 PM »
......and check out this store.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Electronic-Toys-Shop__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Some HOT ones here.
RC

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »
Hi Hood,

I bought the laser last year and Virtual Village stocks probably change but I am sure it will be back again. (hope so because I want another one).

This Road Runner is approx. 65mm across and laser engraved into aluminium clad plastic engraving laminate. The gloss finish stuff did not work but this matt or brushed surface is just fine. Although the line width is not quite as fine as can be achieved with an engraving point it is not far off. The laser was positioned approx. 60mm off the work and focused to the smallest spot I could get on the surface. There are a couple of dings, top right, which were the focus point and the starting and finishing point. There is also a slight line from the end of the engraving to the home position at the end of the job. I will have to connect a laser enable / disable from the LPT port and perhaps link it to the Z axis function. Does anyone have any ideas about this please ?.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »
Very nice Tweak.
Saw this recently...might help ?
RC

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 10:31:37 AM »
Thanks RC,

I was thinking of using the Z axis direction signal but this looks like a better way - I must try it and see how it works.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »
Tweakie, nice work  :)

Not to make more "work" for you, but any chance of seeing some video of it in action?

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 03:11:35 AM »
Hi Dave,

At the moment I don't have a video camera (spent all my allowance on a Sony SLR and Minolta 70-210 'beercan') but just for you I will try to obtain a cheap webcam that will work with my laptop. Actually you are not missing much, with a feedrate of 20mm per minute It would probably be like watching paint dry. What would be far more interesting is a video of me photographing the laser in action as I tape one lens of the protective goggles to the camera lens filter (to give some degree of protection to my expensive image sensor) then shut one eye and look through the remaining goggle lens to take the shot. Glad no one can see me really  :D
It perhaps should be noted here that viewing a laser through any optical device is a bad idea for your eyesight.

Incidentally these solid state lasers cannot be turned on quickly as they require a 'soft start' in order to meet their expected life span. Therefore, in use, switching them on and off quickly requires a shutter system and I am currently working on this to solve the problem of unwanted burns when the axis is accelerating / decelerating from the start or finish of a line. First attempt at a rotary shutter was not too successful so I either have to improve on it or start again with a sliding shutter idea. I will add to this post when I have more information.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »
If you want to learn more about lasers go to http://photonlexicon.com/forums/index.php
There are a lot of good people there that would be glad to help you. Also if you can get a cheap TTL driver for your laser and be able to modulate it at high speeds. If you go with an analog driver you will be able to control the power output not just off and on.
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 05:01:35 AM »
Thanx for the link - much appreciated.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:13 PM »
one day when im big i will give this a try :)