Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:28:48 PM

Author Topic: Grid Plates  (Read 4127 times)

Grid Plates
« on: November 23, 2010, 11:24:40 PM »
I'm over from Backyardmetalcasting so I made a pattern and poured a couple grid plates for the Series 1.

wood pattern

One poured, one to go

Raw casting

It took 8 hrs to gnaw this out adjusting code and learning to program, but the last one took about an hour :).
If you think you can't do it, you're right.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Grid Plates
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 07:22:14 AM »
Excellent work my friend.

The more we learn the faster we get  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
Thanks Tweakie,

The final machining on the gridplates after mounting them to the table. This is the limit of the X, Y travel,

The next item is a rotary table. This is an Ebay find with a 5" 3 jaw Rohm chuck. It is servo driven, and since I am running the Campbell box with Geckos I figure the easiest/ cheapest way is to convert it to stepper.

I haven't been able to sort out the NEMA numbers for the mount, it mics at 1.100" ctc, which I interpret to be NEMA 11, but in the dimensional drawings for various steppers the bolt centers are different.

This particular question may be in the wrong thread, so I'll look around and move it if necessary.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:30:12 PM by sandcrab »

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:32:27 PM »
I'd keep the servo and get a Gecko servo drive.  I have 4 machines, 3 with servos and one with steppers.  I prefer the servos.

Vince
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »
N4NV, That would be a possibility. I looked at Geckos, and might be able to replace the fourth axis stepper Gecko with a servo Gecko. I need to determine the specs for the servo motor itself.

This unit has a proximity limit switch. I can see having it for orientation, but how is it disabled for spiral cuts that require multiple revolutions?