Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:07:13 PM

Author Topic: Need some help with new build... Reset Gecko G320 fault causes Y axis to move?  (Read 10168 times)

Finally finished up my wiring last night, or early this morning actually.  Using a smooth stepper with a PMDX-122 on port 1 and a rogersmachine encoder board on port 2.  Can't get the outputs to work on the rogersmachine board, but that is a topic for another thread.

Using G320's to drive the servo's.  I just hooked up the encoders on the servo's and powered them up for the first time last night.  I don't have an oscilloscope for setup of the G320's, is it really required?  I powered it all up and the Gecko's were all faulted like normal when they first power up.  I reset my E-stop switch (actual switch) then pressed my Gecko reset button to clear the power up fault.  The manual says to hold it for 5 secs, at about second number 2, the Y axis ran inwards until my Vise contacted the machine and a fuse blew.  

Not sure why it would do this?  I haven't started to setup the motor tuning or made any adjustments on the Gecko's yet.  I thought I had to have it powered in order to do that.  

I was able to replace the fuse and try it again.  It is repeatable.  Once I reset the Gecko's, the Y axis moves quickly and I can Push my Gecko Stop button (Grounds the ERR pin on the Gecko's) to halt it.  

Any ideas?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Is your encoder hooked up the correctly? Make sure its connections are good.

Hood
I'll check on the wiring for that axis tonight.  Thanks

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Hi, Radioactive

Do as "Hood" stated and then, With the 5 volt power on the Gecko, check power to encoder's, Check the A & B encoder pin's on the Gecko for on/Off 5 volt's while moving the motor shaft slowly.

If the A/B pulses are there, Swap the A/B wires around, You should be getting good at hitting the E-Stop by Now.  :D

Hope this Helps, Chip

Getting late again
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:27:00 AM by Chip »
I found the "B" wire loose at the servo motor terminal strip.  However, once I landed it, and tried to reset the drives the Y axis still moves in the same direction however only a 1/4 inch at a time.  Short movement, pause for one second, moves again, etc.

I tested and found 5V, ground, and 5 V pulses while moving the motor by hand.  I suppose I will swap the A and B wires next.  Not really sure why it would respond this way if they were swapped though?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
Hi, Radioactive

Swap the A B wires that should fix it, But sound's like you have the Enable terminal held in Reset all the time.

You should only apply 5 volt power to it to Reset the drive's. Re-read over the paper work.

Chip
Well I looked in the Gecko instructions and it listed that the servo power wiring being backwards could cause this condition.  So I swapped the power leads and all is well.  The drives reset now.

Now I can't seem to clear a Servo drive disable signal, however no Gecko faults are present?  It may be the RogersMachine interface plugin...

Chip, I was holding the Reset button in and trying to count to five.  After 2 seconds, the drive would move a 1/4 inch, pause for a second, and repeat.  All the while I was holding the reset button in.

OK, removed the RogerMachine plugin for now and no more servo drive disable.  So I went thru the motor tuning section and setup the servo info as appropriate.  I can reset the E-stop and it will hold it's position.  However using the jog menu nothing moves?  Mach 3 shows the position should be changing, but no movement out of the motors...  Could this be due to not tuning them yet?  I don't have an oscilloscope and haven't done anything yet other then the initial Gecko instructions, limit is at half, gain is at zero, and damp is at 25 percent.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
Hi, Radioactive

Make sure you have Port "1" selected in port's & pin's, Motor Output's for Dir & Step Port's.

Also do you have a Pulse Frequency showin on the Diag. screen.

Chip
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:28:57 AM by Chip »
Port 1 is selected on the ports & pins page.  However, there is no pulse freq shown.  It says "External"?