Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:29:02 AM

Author Topic: Issue uninstalling SmoothStepper  (Read 7240 times)

Issue uninstalling SmoothStepper
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »
I'm having issues uninstalling a smoothstepper from mach3. I had everything running smoothly but decided to uninstall the smoothstepper and go to a parallel port design. My problem now is that the axises don't move. I left everything hooked up to the BOB so none of the wiring has changed. As for mach I just uninstalled it then reinstalled it, then set the config back up exactly as it was but now like I said the motors don't move. All the other inputs and outputs work except the motors. I'm thinking this has something to do with the way mach used to send data to the smoothstepper but I could be wrong. If any body has an idea let me know thanks.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Issue uninstalling SmoothStepper
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 01:12:36 PM »
Did you create a new profile? Did you change the motion control device in that profile to LPT?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »
I didn't, how do you do that? can I just change it?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
Go to Function CFG->Reset Device Sel..

Click OK on the dialog box, then restart Mach. When mach restarts you can choose the motion control device.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »
OK I did that but still nothing. I checked the outputs and the dir pins toggle when I change dir but the step pins don't seem to pulse anything. Here is my XML file if its helps any.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
On the diagnostics page do you see a pulse frequency and a Time in Int?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
the pulse freq is 23776 and the time in int is +10.6 thru +11.9. As a side note I have the spindle configured on the same port as the drives with the step and dir and the spindle works. I also used the port monitoring software to view the port status. when watching it I can see the charge pump output flashing and all the inputs working along with the outputs except for the step pins. you can see the dir pins flip flop when changing directions but nothing on the step. So it seems that mach isn't ouputing anything to the step pins.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 02:42:39 PM »
Your xml looks fine at first glance.
 Can you try swapping the pin asignment around in Mach and physically on machine for Step and Dir and see what happens, or you could just swap them around in Mach and have the cable disconnected but you will need to change the active state of the E-Stop. You could then use a voltmeter on mv range to see if there is an output on the step pins.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »
Alright I swapped the pins and wires around and the dir pin still works right but the step doesn't The step always stays high on all three axises. So I take from that is that the port is working and so is the outputs but mach isn't outputting the step pulse. any ideas to why?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 03:05:19 PM »
Afraid not, it seems to be working here but as I dont have a parallel port on this computer I cant actually measure if there is any pulses on the port.
Hood