Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:39:40 AM

Author Topic: Guitar Fans?  (Read 17229 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Guitar Fans?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
Oh, I wouldn't part with any of my guns, but if I were to spend any more money, it would rather it go for a guitar than another gun. I would get allot more enjoyment out of it. Thanks for the AR compliment. The 1911's are my favorite also. Once I get my carry permit, I may go ahead and get me a small handgun. Every time I go target plinking with my AR, the cops show up. I told 'em "I will put ya out a chair, cause your gonna be here allot." He took it one step farther, now he fixin to be my neighbor. HA! I wonder how that's gonna play out. Better go ahead and start that gun thread, cause we've already hijacked Daves thread. Would like to see the mounts ya made.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »
Here's one I made earlier! About 25 years ago. Mostly machined on a Bridgeport clone. My eldest Daughter played double bass and wanted to try out a bass guitar but the ones that she could afford were not very user friendly or very good musically. The biggest problem was the sustain time and making one out of granite was not practical! This one has excellent sustain and hardly ever needs tuning.

Ian
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 07:30:48 PM »
Ian,

NICE JOB, Looks really good.
Wheres the tuners?

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »
Here's my cheapo Ibanez, and an old Washburn I sold some time ago. That thing was like a lead brick, and needed a couple small parts. The Ibanez has dual Seymour Duncan humbuckers. One active, one passive. Sadly, I don't have any pics of the Charvel, Dave.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
Nice work, Ian, always loved the feel of a fretsless but definitely takes some "getting onto" for sure.

Tuners on the back?

What kind of pickups?

Ed, as far as players, that list would go on forever as I like many different types of music. To name a few, Joe Satriani, Al Dimeola, Stevie Ray, David Gilmour, EVH, Eric Johnson, etc.

Another couple of pics for you; This one was a good story, it's the cover model guitar for the Jackson Electronics campaign in 87-88. When I first saw that picture, I was buying a Jackson pickup to put into my guitar and that pic was on the cover. I fell in love with that guitar but there was no way I was affording one of those back then. About 5 years ago, this guitar came up for sale and the seller had no idea what he even had. Needless to say, when I saw the pics of it and then compared the crackle paint "footprint" (no 2 crackle paint jobs are alike as it's a chemical reaction) I had to grab it. Pretty reassuring feeling when I took the trem off for maintenence and saw the "photos rush" note under the clear coat.

It was my Holy Grail of guitars.  :)

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
wow....impressive! What a find!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
Dave ,
That sure is a beaut. I'd definitly hang on to that one.

My tuner head is an opposite of yours , which is a little unhandy.

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »

My tuner head is an opposite of yours , which is a little unhandy.

But the reverse headstocks look so damn good -  ;D

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »
Dave ,

As long as they look good , and sound good , that's all that counts.
Kinda looks like your a Jackson collector.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 04:02:24 PM »
Ed,Dave,

Tuners are 1/4" UNF Allen screws threaded into brass blocks holding the ends of the strings. Pickups I wound on a lathe - 5,000 turns (if I remember correctly) of very fine wire. These were mounted on threaded Alnico magnets 3/16" diameter for height adjustment. Each coil output had a  variable gain op-amp amplifier, the outputs were summed into another op-amp, then fed through a filter circuit. The total length is 40" and it weighs 7lbs. (We were imperial units back then!)

Ian