Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:03:44 AM

Author Topic: odd shaped circles  (Read 4848 times)

odd shaped circles
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »
I am very new to this. I was given a used sherline machine with a camtronics controller. I have managed to get the machine to run. I am now just messing around with cuts and my o's have an odd shape. What am I doing wrong?
In this picture the o is about an inch tall. I made this with the text wizard in mach 3.
I am using a .5 inch v bit. It was all I had laying around at the time.

Hood

Re: odd shaped circles
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 03:44:17 AM »
Do you have the correct steps/unit set in the motor tuning? Have you tried the circle wizard to see if that makes a round circle?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 02:33:09 PM »
I am not sure if I do or not. How do you know if they are  correct?

Hood

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 04:02:55 PM »
Best way to do it is go to settings page and click on the "Set Steps per Unit" button and follow the directions for each axis. You will need some form of measuring device to read the actual distance travelled, a dial gauge could be used. Once you have each axis done you can try the text again and see if its right, also try the circle wizard to see if it does a proper circle.
Hood

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »
Grab the mill table while it's powered down and see if you can move it any noticable amount, checking for large backlash problems.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 01:15:31 PM »
I have been reading on backlash and I think that is my problem. Both the hand wheels on thex and y axis turn quite a bit before moving the table.