Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Is this a (Z axis) problem (bug) or a Preference that I just don't understand?  (Read 7537 times)

Hey All,

I've been away for a while and finally had a chance to update to the new 3.042 version.  It seems that a change has taken place in the way that the GoTo Zero command is being executed. 

Previously when one selected Goto Zero was selected the X & Y axis would trundle off to their respective positions and then Z would drop on in.  I found this to be exactly what I wanted since it kept my Z retracted (clearing clamps, Jigs and such) whilst X & Y did their thing.

Now in the new & improved version, Z moves down first and then X & Y rip across my table.  The first time I tried this I promptly broke my Bit by slamming into one of my Destaco Clamps  >:( . Am I crazy to think that moving the Z first is backwards?

So... I've looked in the config for an option to select which axis moves first and can find none.  Am I missing something or do I need to create a custom Macro to do this?   Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Regards,
Sid

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
It should and still does work the first way you have described for me. Possibly you have the safe Z set to work coordinates, if that was the case and you had for instance 0 then it would do exactly as you are describing. If you have set to machine coords and zero then the Z should move first to machine zero, X and Y move then Z back down.
Hood
Hood you are DA MAN!  Very perceptive indeed!  Safe Z in Work Coords.  So I have a work around but actually I still think that Z should move last regardless of Safe Z preference settings.  Whatcha think- Macro???

Regards (& Thanks),
Sid

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Z should move first clear, then it should move on X and Y then lastly the Z should drop down. If you want that to happen then set it to Machine Coords. If you want to keep it in work coords then set the Z as something higher than the top of the work, or you could even have an incremental rise so that it went up from any position you are presently at. My preference is machine coords zero as 99.99999% of the time it should clear everything, if it doesnt then you are not going to clear the work no matter how you do it.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Sid, I modified the button in my screen to raise the z if it was below zero then x and y then lower the z. If it is above zero, it will stay there do x and y then lower the z down.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Sid, I modified the button in my screen to raise the z if it was below zero then x and y then lower the z. If it is above zero, it will stay there do x and y then lower the z down.

Brett

Why? Does it not automatically do that for you? If I press Go to Zero then it will raise Z to safe Z position unless its already there or higher, in that case it will just go on to the next part which is move X and Y and then finally it will lower the Z. I have not needed to alter any button or have a custom macro, just set the safe Z up from Config menu and thats it.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
If I was using safe Z it would.  :) 

Brett

excuse please.............
Hey Brett,
  I noticed that the GoToZeros button is a System Function button.
How can one modify a System button ? Or did you change it to a VB Script button ?
I put a TCP button on my screen with script to do whatever is needed.
Thanks,
RC
OK Brett, So are you gonna give it up?  How did you make that button do that?  Macro??  Howzabout posting that bad boy for all of your other commrades!!??? 

:-)

Sid

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Hey RC, Yes, if you wanted to modify it you would use scrren 4 or screen 3 and make it a VB button. Then edit it from your user menue. Or I think screen 3 will let you put the script in while designing. RC, I have a TCP button on my screen and a set tcp. Jog to where you want the toolchange position to be and click set tcp and it sets the dros on the settings page for tcp.

OK, will do SID. But, as Hood said if your running safe z enabled, you won't benefit from it. My knee is so slow any wasted movement drives me crazy.

Brett
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:25:34 PM by Chaoticone »