Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:34:31 AM

Author Topic: SUPERMAX / Mach Retrofit  (Read 23862 times)

SUPERMAX / Mach Retrofit
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »
Hello All,
  Well I finally picked up a mill to set up with AC servos and Mach.
I researched the model, YCM-12, but never found anything about it. So I figured...what the heck. The price was right so I bought it sight unseen...except for a couple of pics. From what I DID find on Supermax's, I assumed this one would have a 12 or 14" Y but lo and behold..it's 16" ! EXCELLENT ! There is 1 job that I now do manually that is 14.25" Y and would have required 2 set-ups but not now. :)
  Spent all of last weekend stripping it down and laying on a fresh coat of paint. The head is a bit noisy. The motor bearings were bad so I changed them but there is still a bit of racket. Will change all of the bearings then paint the head as well.
  Ball screws cleaned up well. The end block bearings for the X are a bit rough so they will be replaced too.
The mill must have been setting a while as the quill was stuck/frozen in what looked like gum or varnish. I got it freed up then found that the yoke that connects the Z ball nut to the quill is cracked. NO prob...just glad I caught it early on.
  The ways are huge boxed type and are in great shape. Turcite on the Y too.
Will need a new lube pump...looks like a forklift nailed this one.
More to come.
RC
Re: SUPERMAX / Mach Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:59:33 PM »
Russ,

That thing looks Super , like in  Super Max  haha   :D
Better then the first pic I seen , and 16" on the y. That's great, and a nice big electrical cabinet.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:14:34 AM »
Russ

That head appears to have a high-low range, probably some gear noise in the head. Is the low range the noisy one?

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:42:57 AM »
Russ,
Now we know what you do in your spare time!
Wish you luck with it.
RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:00:07 AM »
Excellent, my friend, that is sure to be a lot of fun when done!

:)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
ED, most of the noise seemas to be in HI gear. It's pretty calm in back gear.
  The key slot in the driven sheave shaft is hammered open a bit at the mid section of travel. The original key slot was 5/16" and is about .360 at the widest point now. When I take it apart again, I might mill the slot wide enough to clean it up and then make a custom key to fit.
Hope to work on it more this weekend.
Thanks again,
RC

OH...BTW. I'm looking for some Kwick Switch 200 Tool Holders. Seen some on eBay, still looking though.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »
Nice looking project you got there. Nice shop, too. I wish my mig welder was about the size of yours. Is that a mig, tig, or stick?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 06:59:25 AM »
Hi Sam,
   Shop is getting too small now.
Thats a dedicated MIG...does a great job.
I also have a Lincoln AC DC stick machine and a Miller Bobcat for remote work.
I need a good stick/TIG combo rig......working on that now.
Thanks,
RC
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:04:52 PM »
Found the noisy culprit. There are 2 bearings under the sheave that is splined to the spindle. One of those is kaput.
All new bearings on the way.
Also milled the keyslot in the same sheave to .375", like Ed suggested, and made a step key...excellent now. Thanks Ed.
The sheaves in this head have the bronze bushings instead of plastic and are in great shape.
Just about done with the mechanical stuff, anxious to start on the electrical and controls.
I hope running it will be as enjoyable as putting it together  LOL.
Thanks to ALL for your encouragement and support,
Russ

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 10:33:10 PM »
Russ, where did you find your bearings?  Do you have a manual that tells the type, or do you just match as best you can?

Vince