Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:32:13 AM

Author Topic: What is your trade?  (Read 18298 times)

Re: What is your trade?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
I am now retired
Was tool and die maker, general machinist,production machinist,trouble shooter,welder.

Now i have all my time for myself, the wife,and my machines ,Waiting for a cnc milling.

Marcel Beaudry
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:00:56 PM by marcel beaudry »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 10:10:47 PM »

Hi, my name is RICH and i'm just a boring process engineering designer who has been involved in most aspects of engineering
design and construction of chemical plants. The experience over the years has been very, very diversified, from
conceptual design to full facilities. Hobbies include music, ham radio, cars, woodworking, electronics,engraving, firearms,
hunting, and always wanted to have a house with three rooms; namely a bathroom, dining room,bedroom and a 7 or 8 stall garage
for each of the hobbies i enjoy! They are somewhat seasonal. So it would just seem natural to have a small machine shop and
have fun at CNC as it encompass a piece of my work and other interests. As a hobby i can have just as much fun maching a part,
getting something to work, helping someone out,  or experiencing the sickness called ADD CNC ( Adult Deficit Deficiency Computer
Numerical Control ). The doctor told my family that's it's incurrable and they must learn to live with it!
But you know, it's all in the name. RICH
When i was born my mother named me Richard and everyone called me Rich or Richie. Now when i was an alter boy the pastor
called me Dick and i hated that name since my name is Rich and not some hanging part. But in those days you had to show respect
and little did we know that we would be learning a book called Dick and Jane. ( the Jane i got to know was hot) Anyway, as time went
on the name went back to Richie, but my mother-in-law was proper and always called me Richard. Then i moved to Delaware and everyone
would never call me Rich and only Dick. So i finally accepted the name. Then was tranferred to constructiion in Tennessee and my hardhat
had Dick on the side of it. It didn't take to long at the site to sense that something was wrong as people started calling me pecker.
That ended quickly when i fired a guy. Some time later off to another construction site in Texas only this time Rich was on the side of the
hardhat.Ha, dumb once but not twice! Then i went to the first site staff meeting, was introduced as Rich, but the construction manager asked me
a question post my introduction. He said that when he called my office i would answer the phone as Dick and noticed that my design team called
me Richard and that the guys out in the field called me Rich. He asked what name the staff should address me by? I responded to the "big boss"
that they could call me anything they wish, just don't call me Pecker. You could hear a pin drop in the meeting and after what seemed like an
eternity of silence he responded with "smart ass" and i repsonded with that's fine just don't call me Pecker. He got somewhat disturbed
and once again just said ...give me a name and no smart remark. i repsonded and said Mr. V...... , my last name is fine. Well it was probably
10 years later and I met that manager ( now head of all the construction division for a major company ) at a managers meeting and on seeing me
he asked me to join the group and during conversation always addressed me as Mr. V....... One of the guys at the table asked me what position
i held with the company as someone so up the ladder would address me as Mr.  I said i worked on the Company Board. The guys at the table
 were impressed and remarked how young i was to have such a position in a major company.
 Well the manager leaned over and whispered to me "Drafting Board, Pecker" and i see you have not changed. Manny of the words
are direct qoutes.

RICH   ........and it's all true  :)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »
 ;D Great story RICH.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

BClemens

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 07:26:30 AM »
(Rich needs to write short stories as a satellite venture) - very good Rich! Kind-of rare that I read an entire post like that - I read that one...

Bill C.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 07:29:53 AM »
Hi Rich,

You really should not have told anyone, especially Sam, about the 'Pecker' nickname - I think you know just know what's going to happen now.

Tweakie.

btw. I'm just a boring old electronics engineer - nothing special ever happens in electronics.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 08:03:29 AM »

btw. I'm just a boring old electronics engineer - nothing special ever happens in electronics.

You wanna bet, let me loose near any kind of electronics and spectatular things can happen ;D

Hood

Offline CJEls

•  69 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »
Hi All

My trade I qualified for is call Electronic Mechanician Some thing only the South Africans can think up. 60% electronics and 40% mechanical and all on cnc Machines. I left the trade and became a Boiler maker (steel construction and manufacturing worker). Then started a nc maintenance company,that lasted until my bookkeepers  did me in and I lost it. I am current an employee for Victor Fortune South Africa (service engineer). These days a lot off mechanical work (rebuilding spindles, scraping of slides etc)The Machines I have Is for My hobby flying Radio controlled planes

Enjoy Life it is short

Cobus

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »
LOL @ Tweak. Na, my humor is not to make people angry. I try to just have fun and hopefully make friends. Lot's of times people just don't see my comments the way their intended, they get offended, and then I wont cross there path again. One quote I remind people of...... "Don't take life to seriously, none of us are going to make it out alive"
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."