Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:38:42 AM

Author Topic: What is your trade?  (Read 18382 times)

BClemens

What is your trade?
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:56:30 AM »
What is your trade?

I'm a welder - in a cryogenic chamber with an electron beam.

Bill C.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: What is your trade?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:00:53 AM »
Fisherman originally if you could consider that a trade, was certainly cold and wet ;D Now I repair the boats amongst other machining and welding work, mainly one off jobs.
Hood

BClemens

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:23:35 AM »
Fantastic Hood! I spent 26 years repairing boats too. Finally bought the marina and went broke. Problem with the boats that I repaired, they were for pleasure....and are idle and in disrepair when times get tough. Great!

Bill C.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »
Machinist/machine designer with way too much welding exp. I had a shop with
a couple of doz. employees but for the last 15 years just me.Fix everything and anything.
Designed stuff from underwater logging equipment to systems for the Advanced Life support
systems on the Mars project.(Don't ask I woulkd have to kill you.)Now I am half way to understanding electronics and this controll stuff.Hey a new trade at 52!!.
Also a fisherman, well a fishaholic.Hard core fly fisherman.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 02:04:36 PM »
Bill,
  the fishing industry is declining in Scotland and the leisure crafts are increasing, however I don't do very much work for the leisure crowd or WAFI's as they get called ;)  The majority of them want stainless products and highly polished at that but they want it for less than material costs let alone machining and fabrication costs.

Keith
 That's a much more civilised type of fishing that you like, the kind I did involved going out in mountainous seas and getting very cold and wet for very little reward latterly.

Hood

BClemens

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »
Interesting the diversity and talent of the people who enjoy this CNC work and go after such a challenge....Are we all over 50? I darn sure hope not...

Bill C.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »
Hood your fishing industry is declining,ours is almost gone.I just finished
fabing a s/s rudder arm for a local fish boat.All we have left is a short prawn season.
Seems the fish farm industry has help erraticate our salmon stocks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 04:01:08 PM »
Keith
 ha ha now that is funny, guess what I was making up today. Well dont bother guessing I will tell you, a stainless steel rudder and tiller arm for the boat that my brother in law is fitting out :D

Bill
 42 but look and feel 20 years older :D

Hood
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »
Hey GUys,
Well adding to the other thread of where you live...
I live in Mexico just a 2hr drive from the texas border.

Im just 28, and by trade I am a mechanical and electrical engineer, that used to have a Kitchen countertop fabricating business, but recently closed it, and starting to build OEM machines, mainly things that you cant buy off the shelf, or that by doing so it would cost a fortune.

Fluent in spanish and english, and just some portuguese, but to be honest i tried giving support to the spanish forums but cant understand a word they are saying! spanish from spain is like a whole other language when talking about technical stuff.

Hell Im so used to working with things in english that most of the time i think in english

Have a good one
Fernando
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
RETIRED ,  69 YEARS OLD.  Yup , I remember when ,  ;D
Machinest , tool and diemaker , design engineer , mechanic , welder, all kinds.
 Great grandfather,
 Also use to fish , Lake Michigan.
AND , still not enough hours in a day.

Ed
Ed VanEss