Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 04:23:47 AM

Author Topic: Where to input value to let X-Y table move certain distance directly?  (Read 7266 times)

Hi All:

I'd like use CNC-mini drill/mill to drill 4 holes on a plate very accuratly, but I don't want to write G-code for this simple job, my idea is drill 1st hole (0,0) (move Z-axis manually), then input 2.13 inch(X-axis) to move 2.13", drill 2nd holes, then input 3.54 inch (Y-axis) to drill 3rd hole, then input -2.13 inch(X-axis) to drill 4th hole.

My question is where I can input those value to let X-Y table move very accuratly (Not via Jog), DRO seems just for displaying result?

Regards,

Richard

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Where to input value to let X-Y table move certain distance directly?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:30:04 PM »
MDI (Manual Data Input) page, type into the MDI box and press enter on your keyboard.
G1X2.13F100 will move the X axis to 2.13 at a feedrate of 100IPM

Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:24 PM »
Thank you, Hood

I did this way:

MDI page, Input" G1X2.13F100" , Enter, DRO display 2.13,
Then "Goto Variable Position", X-axis just turn a little bit, not 2.13",
I check unit setting, it's right, and load a G-code to test, it's OK.

I don't know what's the problem.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 03:50:59 AM »
I don't understand why you don't want to write G Code for "this simple job"

You are going to have to write G Code whether you like it or not, becasue the machine only undertsands G Code.

Whether you write one line at once (on the MDI input - which takes one line instructions at a time)  or you write a small program to do all the lot at once makes no difference.

For your job, there are two commands - G0 and G1 - G0 moves the table at it fastest speed as set on your motor tuning: G1 moves at a cutting speed set by F command (feed)

So your code will be

(start at 0,0)

G0 X0 Y0 (included for completeness - the table will not move)
G1 F** Z**    (the stars after F determine the depth per minute at which the drill will drill, after Z they determine depth  - this should be a minus figure)
G0 Z**  (the stars after Z determine the height which the drill lifts to clear the job)

If you have set up your job correctly, (at X0 Y0 and with the drill touching the work - Z0) then a safe height is 5 (mm) (0.25 inches).

If you repeat this code three times, putting in the three other locations (instead of the original X0 Y0) then you have a 12 line program that will run off your job.

You should finish (although not compulsory) by lifting Z well above the job, and moving the table out of the way so you can get your work out.

e.g G0 X -25 Y -25 Z 25 (assuming metric set up - use 1 instead if in inches)

M30

Use the M30 (end of program) and also type <enter> a couple of times afterwards.

Using cut and paste, such a program can be written in a couple of minutes - less than it has taken me, and the satisfaction it gives you watching the machine is enormous.

Try running you program first without the drill, or better still run it on Mach 3 without your machine connected. The toolpath will show you the different steps and hignlight each one as it does it. You can be fairly certain that if it runs "dry", when you put in your tool it will do the job.

The temptation always is to just get on and "do" using a combination of CNC and manuall commands. Believe you me, the satisfaction comes from the CNC, there is no simple job.
Yes - you must sit down with a pencil and paper and draw out what you want to do, then write down your code, and then type it in. The beauty about it is that you can save the program under GCode and then use it again (and again etc) either a a program, part of a program, or the basis of some larger program.

If you already write programs, then I sincerly apologise, I'm on a high this morning.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 11:48:58 AM »
easy use "jog cycle step" mode
fill increment move step.. then u just press where u go.. and viola..
ex: i need go axis x 6mm
i fill 2mm increment.. just press > x3 or increment 6mm just pres > once

i hope this can help