Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:32:45 AM

Author Topic: What would you like to see in a new Mach3 User's Guide?  (Read 11735 times)

What would you like to see in a new Mach3 User's Guide?
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »
I'm collecting suggestions for the content of a new Mach3 User's Guide. What information would you like to have included?

One thing it is NOT going to be is a "how to write GCode" tutorial. There are already any number of those, better than I could do. But, assuming you have worked your way through the Mach3 Installation/Configuration Guide and your machine is set up and ready to go, ...what do you want to know about actually using Mach3?

All suggestions appreciated, with no guarantee I'll use any of them, but I do want your ideas.

Thanks!
Re: What would you like to see in a new Mach3 User's Guide?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:06:56 AM »
How about a section on the tool table including how to set up tool offsets and run a tool turret.

Can't wait to see a new manual. It sounds like a huge project but sure will be great to have.

Thanks,
Kerry
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »
Thanks Kerry. The tool table and tool changing are certainly likely topics.

How about all you other guys? Please share your thoughts.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »
How about screen shots of all the pages with highlighted areas containing links to a definition of what it does and other settings it may effect. Kind of a quick reference.
Also, one thing I would think would be really helpful would be the default screen sets with the buttons having a label telling their hot key and oem number.

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing it.
Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »
A reference section which provides links relative to a specific topic for additional information?

I second what Brett said about different settings and what it can affect. ( it could be like a chart
/ spread sheet settings across the top and side and an x showing what it affects) 

Maybe a good way to see what is required is to scan the posts and look for common postings.

RICH
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »
I think a really good starting point would be explanations of the eight billion configuration settings.  There are many things under the setup menus that I have no clue what they are, or what they do.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:25 PM »
Would like to see a very detailled section about rotary axis Set-up

Also some more explanation about different boards you can add to Mach3, like Pokey or any other board.

Maybe some basic Vb macro, something we could start with and modify for our own need. (tool change, tool measurement)

Just my idea.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:05:38 AM »
I guess a good topic to include is coordinate systems and fixtures (G54, G55... etc...)

Best Regards
Fernando
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »
HimyKabibble, the new install/config guide describes a bunch of the config setting, though maybe not the full eight billion.  ;D

Thanks to all for your thoughts so far.
Keep 'em coming...

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
I think a really good starting point would be explanations of the eight billion configuration settings.  There are many things under the setup menus that I have no clue what they are, or what they do.

Regards,
Ray L.

That's what I would want, and not just the obvious like "shuttle accel" sets the shuttle acceleration.  What exactly does it effect, what are the range of values to use and how changing those values affect mach.

Vince