Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:25:49 AM

Author Topic: What would you like to see in a new Mach3 User's Guide?  (Read 11734 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: What would you like to see in a new Mach3 User's Guide?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 06:49:36 AM »
Mainer,
Thought you would have recieved more replies than you have so far. In that thought, and thinking about your
task, here is an idea. Why not have the members do a review of the manual ? Seperate pull down by page pull down manual review. Post a shot of a pull down or section of it and simply ask......what is not clear in the manual relative to this page or part of the page. This way you would get a full review by the users and know any problem area.
Yes, it would take time, maybe a few months, but then, it certainly would be complete.
Just a thought,
RICH 
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »
To put out a manuel , explaining all the HOW TO'S , that can be done in Mach. would have to be a a book set,
Called  "MACH  ENCYCLOPEDIA FOR DUMMIES" for people like me. Mach has more capabilities than most cnc machine software.
Most production cnc machines come with a BIG box of books. So, I'd say you have a big job on your hands, and wish you lots of Luck.
And someone will always Question , why isn't it in the book. >:(
Again , I say, Best of Luck. And , I admire you for taking on this project.

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »
Oh and don't forget MachTurn, especially all those settings in the wizards.

Vince
An easy one- a page to write down config settings
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 07:35:48 PM »
I like the ideas I've seen here, and I also think the existing manual is decent considering the complexity and versatility of the software.  But I can think on one easy thing- 

Add a page or two with spaces to note key settings for your current configuration.   Port and pin settings per axis, spindle settings, etc. 

I know that you are supposed to back up your set/xml files,  and most of us do.  But if you just want to verify what a particular setting is supposed to be when you are monkeying with various settings, a written reference page would be a great idea.

Wayne C

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
Good idea Wayne. I like to add to it. Maybe just screen shots where you fill in the blanks?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 12:31:11 AM »
Im thinking it might be a good idea to have a section with a tutorial on using mach3, for operators.
On how to operate a machine controlled by mach, not setting it up, but actually runing it.

BEst regards
Fernando
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
The intent is indeed for this to be an "operator's guide." In theory at least I covered the setup information in the new install/config guide that came out a couple of months ago....  ;D 

Waynec: Section 5.8 of the new install/config guide has blank tables for documenting your setup. Is that what you're looking for?

Keep the comments and suggestions coming!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 02:21:48 AM »
Was this new Mach3 users guide ever produced?  The present one seems to date from 2006
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
Not by me, unfortunately. After I finished the Install/Config guide I started work on a UG, but had to quit because of advancing symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. I don't know if anything else is in the works. I'm sure Brian would like to find a writer to do a new UG, but it's hard to find a person who:

1. Understands machining practices
2. Knows (or is capable of learning) Mach3
3. Can write from the point of view of a user
4. Is capable of dealing with the production of a multi-chapter document hundreds of pages long.

If you know anybody, drop Brian a line.
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
Why not make it a Twiki?  Then users can contribute as they solve problems...