Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:41:45 AM

Author Topic: My first attempt at a CNC build.  (Read 63003 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: My first attempt at a CNC build.
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 11:36:03 AM »
Brilliant !  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »
Thanks Tweakie, I can always count on you for encouragement.

Cleaned up the casting and put it on. I was able to drop the router down about 3". This should allow a lot more room for cutting but could be hazardous to the table.
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
I got everything wired up. Actually have movement, but still some problems with the motors not sounding too good and keep crashing into the limits. I'm going through the tutorials and think I know what some of the problems are. I'm just glad everything seems to be working and I'm getting close.
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »
Well, I've had a small set back. I went down to set the motor tuning to try to get some control. The fan didn't come on on the power supply and then it made some kind of death squeal. Fuses are all fine, power in is fine, just nothing on the outputs. Well maybe a half a volt on all three 5 volt and one 12 volt outputs. I'm heading out to the surplus to see if they have a more heavy duty supply.
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
It's ALIVE!!!  Tweakie, this is the scorpion code you had put on another thread. Ok, an all new set of dumb questions start. I had several files downloaded but the Mach 3 doesn't reconize most of them when I try to load the G-code. Are they in another format that I need to change to G-code?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:22 AM »
Hi Jammer,

By 'doesn't recognize' I assume you are meaning the file extension. When loading files select the drop down menu in 'Files of type' and select 'All Files'. That should allow the ones you are missing.

Excellent work with the Scorpion.

Did you have to fit a new psu ??

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »
Yes, the old one quit. I found I didn't have the ground hooked at the plug, I assume this caused the problem. New supply cost me a whole $5.

I did the 'All Files' which opened up more. The Harley one for example, opens and looks like it loads but there isn't any g-code visible. Do DXF files have to be converted to some other format? I have a lot DXF files, the only ones that load with no problem are the 'tap' files. Well, back to the tutorials, they are great, just takes a couple time for the info to sink in. Your train loaded fine but was huge. I reset the units to metric and then it was kind of small, about 3" X 5". Is it difficult to makes the pictures larger or smaller and do they lose details like a photo if it's blown up too large? Enough questions..Thanks for all your help and a special thanks to FrankG whereever he is!!

The scorpion is the 3rd one. The first one the tool was too big, #2 cut too deep so it looked liked the first one. #3 came out just right. :)
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
OK, watching Lazy Cam tutorials, looks like I need to get in there and study more...I'm too old for this. :P :-\

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »
Hi Jammer,

On the main Mach3 screen there are Scale DRO's - If you set the X Axis and Y Axis to 2.0000 the part will be twice the size, if you set them to 0.5000 the part will be half size and so on (be sure to press return after changing each value). The ToolPath window will show the new size of the part in Program Limits (you may need to click Regen Toolpath for this display to update).

LazyCam is pretty good for converting some DXF's but not so good for others - you just have to try it and see.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »
Cool Tweakie, why does the yellow light flash when you change this? Just to let you know it's changed? I could see a major crash if you didn't pay attention.