Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:32:44 AM

Author Topic: My first attempt at a CNC build.  (Read 62990 times)

Re: My first attempt at a CNC build.
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
Here's what I sent them.

Several years ago I purchased a driver and breakout board from you. I has worked great for me. It's a 4 axis board and I never used the 4th axis. Now I'm trying to connect the 4th axis and having some trouble. The motor only turns in one direction. I'm not getting a voltage drop on the driver board on pin#9, when I reverse the motor. It drops on the breakout board but not on the driver board. Do you have any ideas what I could try? I don't see the driver board on you e bay page anymore, are you still selling them? I think I got mine in 2007.
Thank You,

This is the answer I got from them.

Hi Jerry, Sure It is possible your mach3 pinouts are incorrect, because pin 9 is the step pin and the voltage should not drop on that. Pin 8 is the actual direction pin. and pin 5 is the enable pin. See if that changes anything. Sorry, not carrying that anymore.

I may have all my pins wrong, I don't know, but it's been working. I have pins 2,3 on the X axis, 4,5 on the Y axis, 6,7 on the Z axis and 8,9 on the 4th axis. I'm not sure what the guy is telling me.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:38:14 AM by RICH »
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2016, 06:04:19 AM »
He is trying to say that pin 8= direction and pin 9 = step.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
I've done that it just runs in the opposite direction only. I wasn't sure what he meant by pin 5 being the enable pin. ??

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2016, 05:17:55 PM »
If these are standard step and direction drives, changing the step pin for the direction pin should not allow it to move at all. It might move one step when it tries to change direction but that would be about it.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »
Here's a 4 axis file he sent me. I'm not going to be able to try it for a while. Not really sure what to do with it.
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
Well, it appears to be a problem with the board. I have another one coming and we'll see if it works. Thank you for your suggestions.
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251411196650?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Has anyone used a board like this? I didn't get a wiring diagram with it, just the picture of the board with the pin info on it. I get most of it, but the screws I,L,M,N,O I'm not too sure about. I have 6 wire steppers, the plugs have 4 terminals and then 2 more on the screws for step and direction.
If this board works it would be great, I could reduce the size of my electrical box by 75%. Still will have the big computer, monitor and keyboard. I wonder how small I could make a computer with just the essentials for Mach 3 and just USB for inputs?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 02:01:06 AM »
You cannot drive your stepper motors directly from that board.
The Common Gnd, Step, Direction and Enable signals from each of the 5 axes are taken to suitable drivers and the stepper motors connected to them.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2017, 01:53:53 AM »
The second one would be best but beware, you get what you pay for in this world, they may or may not work as well as described.

Tweakie.
PEACE