Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:17:24 AM

Author Topic: PLUG IN WRITERS  (Read 17288 times)

vmax549

PLUG IN WRITERS
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:55:41 PM »
Are there any inspiring new plugin writers out there that would like to try their hand at doing a plugin for a simple PCI I/O card???

Was "told" it should  be fairly simple (yea right).

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: PLUG IN WRITERS
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:09:22 PM »
I saw your post on proposing a PlugIn for the MESA controller boards.  Are you wanting to use one of their I/O cards as well?

I think both would work.  Getting the Anything I/O controllers working would be more involved, as you would really need to have a test machine setup to make it work.  But the I/O board would be much easier to get going because a simple break out board could be used to test.

I'm currently working on the Galil PlugIn and have the vs2003 compiler.  So if you want, I may be able to help.

Steve

vmax549

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:24:11 PM »
HI Steve, we would really like to do this board for now. This would provide all the simple I/O that most people could need even if you did a tool changer.

Being PCI it Should not have any COM issues.  AND at $1 per channel it is a bargain.

http://www.futurlec.com/PCI8255.shtml

IT is a simple PCI 72 count I/O  It would need to be able to talk to the BRAINS in mach.

(;-) THanks For looking, (;-) TP

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
I will get one as soon as I have enough spare play money available.  But...  I also saw some stuff on that sight from Elexol.  They have an Elexol USB I/O board that I just so happen to have.  I also have their Ethernet I/O board.  I think I'll do a PlugIn for those as well, as I already have to code I used at work that performs the setup.  Check them all out at http://www.elexol.com/ .  The USB board will probably not be fast enough, as it's basically a USB->Serial adapter.  But the Ethernet version rocks.  It has a mode by which it continually updates the host via UDP so that there is no pooling going on.

I really can't use the Futuerlec board on my machine, as my setup is all controlled by Ethernet.  But I'm sure I could find something useful to do with it.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:13:17 PM by smurph »

vmax549

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »
HIYA STEVE thanks for the reply. I checked with Futerlec and they are NOT interested in helping us integrate their board so please don't invest any time or $$$ to this project.

THanks, (;-) TP

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »
Yeah, you are right.  You will not find many vendors interested in helping to integrate.  I used to write device drivers for the OpenBSD operating system.  And one thing I found out is that it's like pulling your own teeth without a mirror trying to get vendors to help you.  The only way a vendor will help is if they see Mach as a way of increasing their sales.  Like Vital Systems.  Smart company.  But the world is not full of smart companies.  Some start out smart and then dumb waaaaaay down.

So, in the end, you have to do it.  Or someone does.  The right combination of need and know how has to come together.  As stated, most vendors will not supply you with anything.  If you want it to work, you have to buy the product yourself and start hacking.  Or someone that is interested in getting some hardware to work may contact you and send you a board. 

Over the years, I have bought thousands of dollars worth of hardware so that I could provide support for it.  Why?  It's pretty darned fun.  A big jig-saw puzzle, if you will.  And if I think it may be useful to me, even better.  Other times, people have sent me hardware and paid me handsomely to integrate it.

BTW, the Elexol PlugIn is almost finished.  It will support both the Ethernet and USB modules in any combination up to 4 modules.  It turns out that the USB modules can be accessed via direct USB or over a virtual COM port.  The direct USB method is fast, so that is what I used.  The Elexol has 24 I/O pins per board.  Not as much as the Futurlec board.  But it does offer remote I/O.  Running one USB or Ethernet cable from the computer to the control cabinet is sometimes easier than running multiples of wires.

However, the Futurlec board has the bang for the buck going for it.  So I'd like to support it.

Steve

vmax549

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »
HIYA Steve I am with you I like to help advance CNC AND people who like to use it be it pro OR hobbiest.

BUT over the years I have learned to ONLY help Companies or people that really want to help" themselves". THat segment is very important to me IT shows they care about their " product" or their HOBBY.

(;-) TP

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 02:05:50 AM »
The Elexol PlugIn is finished.  If anyone wants to try it out, you can download it in the Finished PlugIns section.

It turned out really nice!

Steve

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:22:16 AM »
has anyone looked at a mach3 driver for the mesa cards , softdmc ? , if not i'll look into it , seems a good range of options from pci to usb

thought i'd ask before reinventing the proverbial wheel  :D

Dave

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 02:57:58 PM »
I'm writing a Mesa plugin right now.  It's finished, just needing to be tested out on a real machine.  I'm building up a Mini-Mill to test with.  7i43 USB board with analog daughter cards to control analog Yaskawa servo drives.

Steve