Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:15:46 AM

Author Topic: Wiring Limit, Home and E-Stop Switches  (Read 45200 times)

Wiring Limit, Home and E-Stop Switches
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »
I just bought my first CNC machine, a Zenbot 1216, and was wondering about how I should setup limit, home and E-Stop switches, since the machine did not come with any.  I found the diagram below which seemed like a good starting point.

From doing some initial setup with Mach3 and watching the tutorials, I know that one switch per axis can also be a home switch.  Someone on the CNC Zone forum indicated that I should just wire all 6 switches up in series and Mach3 would be able to sort out the home position.  I would think that those home switches would need to be separate parallel port inputs.

Also, can I get the +5V off of one of the other parallel port pins?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:35:02 PM by gpraceman »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring Limit, Home and E-Stop Switches
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 03:05:20 AM »
I think that the usual system, at least it is what I have done, is to wire both X Axis switches in series - both Y Axis switches in series and both Z Axis switches in series etc.(for normally closed contact switches). Each pair of switches then has its own input to the parallel port.

For homing - Mach homes in a set direction, and order of axis, until it finds the switch which will act as both 'home' and 'limit' for that axis. Mach then homes the next axis the same way etc etc.

The 5Volt needs to come from your 4 axis interface or breakout board, not from the parallel port.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »
Hi I am new to cnc ing I am having trouble with my limit switches. I have the e stop all wired and works fine. To test my wiring for 1 limit I used 18 gauge sheilded 4 wire. I run 1 wire from pin 13 to the limit switch  (nc) and returned with a wire to the 5v pin. I set mach3 it shows correctly and works as it is supposed to.  As soon as I plug in the power supply for the stepper motors it falsely trips the switch. What am I doing wrong or what is the problem.  Can anyone help me.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »
what did you connect the shield to?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:21:08 AM »
I didn't hook it to anything. I tried hooking the ground on the panel the the ground on the limit switch without any provale
what did you connect the shield to?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 11:26:11 AM »
Connect the shield to Earth at the controller end only and see if that helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »
When you are say this do you mean the ground pin on the circuit board

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
At your controller end you should have a single point Earth connection - that is where all wiring shields should be connected.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 04:25:59 PM »
I had a chance to seek out to the shop and ground the sheiling seems to work for now I just have the leave it on to see if I get a false stop. The only issue I have now is that when I move my y to - the A axis turns but not in the t movement.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »
Hi is it best to wire all the limit switches in series including the home switches. By this I mean just using 2 wires so all the switches are all connected in 1 circuit with only using 1 pin.