Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:08:47 PM

Author Topic: New Cutter Comp code and Examples  (Read 32306 times)

Re: New Cutter Comp code and Examples
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:03:11 PM »
Surely if you want to cut a 0.25 radius with a 0.5 cutter all you need to do is take the cutter to the radius centre point and feed down to the required depth.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 04:22:45 PM »
ONLY G17... Sorry :)

Yes the tool must be less.. You could se the same size tool if you use R style progamming :)  The problem that I have is the rounding from the cam programs... I can't make a .5 tool fit in a .499999 space.. The math blows up..

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
Hi Brian, I think I have now figured out how to get around my problem. I will be using a grinding disc of around 25mm diameter x 3mm thick which will be dressed to a 1.5 convex radius on it diameter. Thinking about it all I need to do is program the path of the centre of the 1.5 rad to produce the required shape using the X/Z axis without comp but have this tool controled by a second work offset that will be the distance between the centre of the 1.5 rad and the centre of the wheels spindle. This way if I need to dress the wheel I can reduce this second offset by half the amount I reduce the wheels diameter by. Then all the various programs will not need to be re done when I dress the wheel.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:40:57 PM by Hillbilly9749 »
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »
I would like to move comp ove so  that it can be used on the G18 and G19 but it is not in the cards for this release :(

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »
No probs Brian, where there's a will there's a way.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,667 2,667
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »
Funny, I thought it was a relative  ;D
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 07:21:20 PM »

so what is wrong with using a 6mm (.236") cutter

Nothing wrong with that unless you live in USA, Liberia or Myanmar (the last three countries in the world using imperial measurement) or unless you have 3mm inside arcs.   :)

I guess you've never tried to buy a 6mm cutter in the USA, they hard to find and cost twice that of an imperial cutter. But really where does this reduction end? A .5 cutter should fit a .25 arc.

Graham
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:40:44 PM by GrahamH »
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »
It will fit if you have your numbers right .. I would use R type programming so I can get a good center point :) The IJK modes don't work so well with rounding errors..

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 07:32:06 PM »

Yes the tool must be less.. You could se the same size tool if you use R style progamming :)  The problem that I have is the rounding from the cam programs... I can't make a .5 tool fit in a .499999 space.. The math blows up..

But right now a .5 tool wont fit a .5 space. The problem as I see it is, if the gcode is only to 4 decimal places, so the space you trying to fit the tool into should also only be calculated to 4 places. By using double float math, an arc calculated as .5000000001 should be rounded to .5000 as the original I or J word was .5000. The resolution of the error should not exceed the resolution of the gcode.

Graham  
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
If you round your numbers in the cad system to the safe side (Make the arc bigger by where you place the arc center) I can be sure that I cut all the parts right..  I can not change Mach3 to round because the guys running micro machines will have trouble. You need to fix it on your side and I need to run many types of machines.

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com