Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:51:21 AM

Author Topic: New Cutter Comp code and Examples  (Read 32312 times)

Re: New Cutter Comp code and Examples
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 07:55:56 AM »
Seems to me that specifying a cutter diameter .0001" undersize (even if the cutter is onsize) will result in 50 millionths error in the part whilst allowing the comp path to run. My mill can't split .00005", can yours?
Joe
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 08:08:11 AM »
I need to have one of the other testers finish testing before I can put out a copy...
My thinking at this time is that I may be able to have a version out for you to look at in a day or so.
Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

vmax549

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »
OK Before I buy a new copy at the new price you will have to  make the feed rate display what the commanded feedrate is. (;-) LOL

F20 = 20IPM not 19.36 ipm (;-) TP

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »
First, let me say that I am glad to see work going forward on comp. That is what I have had the most problems with. It is useable for me, but only if I manually go into the gcode and add a custom lead-in for each circumstance. Also the comp would often do odd things where arcs came together without a straight section in between. If I added a tiny straight section, one problem (mismatched endpoint vectors) would go away and another (pausing at the tangent) would replace it.  I look forward to having the new code to play with!

I just want to weigh in on the cutter vs inside radius debate. As one who has written a fair amount of code with higher level math, I can tell you that a .5" cutter cannot cut a .25" inside radius as far as the computer is concerned if a check is first made using a "<" comparo.    i.e. the radius of .500000000000000000000000 is NOT LESS than .25000000000000000000000.

That being said, I don't see why "< -or- =" could not be used in comparing the cutter dia with the smallest inside radius. If there is some program reason that this is not possible, surely adding a 1 at the highest precision to the inside radius or subtracting it from the cutter would not result in any appreciable error. If internally, you are out 16 places (or more), methinks that this amount of error would be imperceptible except by a scanning electron microscope. This 'trick' could easily be done inside or outside of the comp processing, unless I am really missing something.  If inside, then a simple switch could turn it on or off so that people machining to a millionth of an inch would not suffer  ::)

Seems moot now since I gather from reading the posts that something has been done to resolve this? As a matter of curiosity, I would be interested in what method was chosen.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:10:01 AM by simpson36 »
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
Seems to me that specifying a cutter diameter .0001" undersize (even if the cutter is onsize) will result in 50 millionths error in the part whilst allowing the comp path to run. My mill can't split .00005", can yours?
Joe

Hi Joe

I think you missing the point. Its fine to do that, if you know about it and know what to do as a fudge to make it work. The fact is that it remains a fudge and does not work as someone would reasonably expect it to. Do you enter all your cutters in the tool table .0001 undersized? Its not about the error in the part but the fact you had to follow special procedures to use comp.

Graham
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
Well I suppose you could always roll up your sleeves and get programming to fix it. Since there is no Windows based competitior for Mach3, having comp pretty close to fully functional is a better option than we've had to date.
Joe
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 07:30:58 PM »
Well I suppose you could always roll up your sleeves and get programming to fix it. Since there is no Windows based competitior for Mach3, having comp pretty close to fully functional is a better option than we've had to date.

Well that's exactly what I'm doing. Not programming, but extensive testing of the new code which Brian was kind enough to give me and advance copy of. I've in return been giving him all the feedback I can, both offline and on. Its best to get these things sorted while they are being worked on rather than revisiting them later. The comp crowd has waited a long time for some attention and now that we getting it, I'm making the most of it. Brian has invited the comments and feedback and I've been giving them. Mach has become the top class product it is through user involvement and feedback. It sounds like you have a problem with this process....

Graham
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:39:44 PM by GrahamH »
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 07:46:35 PM »
I'm not the one whining about it not working perfectly. Life is a series of workarounds.
Joe

vmax549

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »
Graham I am with you buddy, best to sort it out from the start before the workarounds become the gossple then no one wants to correct them for fear of their old code not working correctly. 

Many quirks of other controllers are still there for that reason. 

I appreciate all yalls hard work, I know what it iis like to test and verify code.

(;-) TP
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
The new rev is on downloads page for testing :) It is 3.043.000 and if you are looking at this thread I would say give it a try :)

Merry Christmas and if you run your machine today you are as bad as I am LOL

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com