Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 03:54:40 AM

Author Topic: Can Lazycam be used to carve text?  (Read 6419 times)

Can Lazycam be used to carve text?
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »
I am a new user. I am new to Mach3 and CNC too. I was wondering if LazyCAM can be used to carve text. I have tried to import a dxf made by Corel and had no results. The first time I got a message about splines being ignored. That is when Corel exported the dxf with the test as curves box checked. The second time I tried exporting it with the text kept as text. This resulted in nothing at all. I tried exporting the Corel file as a jpg and used LazyCam's image import feature. This generated erratic results with toolpaths only vaguely resembling the text. What am I doing wrong? Can this be done?  ???

Is there a step by step tutorial on this subject?
Re: Can Lazycam be used to carve text?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:42:49 PM »
Can you select the format that it is being output as? If it an autocad 14 ,2000 ??? I don't have or use Corel :( I think there are some settings that you can change...  is there anyone that knows how to do this on the group?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:32:57 AM »
Hi, SpookyDad

You need to Explode or Un-group the Text before saving it to DXF, I use TurboCad 8, It should be under Format, Modfy  or Option's in Coral.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 02:03:22 PM »
Hi,

I don't know Corel but with Autocad 2000, exploding the splines doesn't help. The file has to be saved as Autocad R12 dxf

Not sure it gonna help you but maybe should you check if the file can be saved as a previous release of Corel.

Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:49:46 PM »
I had trouble with this also...  I did a search on the web (I think I typed TTF to .dxf and I also tried .jpg to .dxf)  I found this ..

http://home.carolina.rr.com/gcodemcode/ttftodxf.htm

I also wanted to do some fubky curved things to text in my Graphics programs.  I saved as .jpg and converted with http://www.img2cad.com/

both of those will get you into .dxf format which will get you into Lazycam (or another .dxf to g-code converter)

HTH  Good Luck!

Sid