Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:31:14 AM

Author Topic: Random stop at x axis  (Read 4237 times)

Random stop at x axis
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
Hello folks! I have read a lot of topics here and haven't found a solution yet. So, i decided to post and see if anyone can help me. The problem is that my CNC Router works fine in a AMD duo core, 2gb ram, and has this x axis problem with a intel quadcore 4gb ram. It sometimes jam for about a second, making a creepy sound of the motor forcing the movement and then again continue moving normally until it happens again.

I saw in other topics some similar problens, and the solutions taken. Unfortunatelly none of them solved mine. Changed the pulse, the CV, made the driver test. Is there anything else i can do?

Ps: sorry for the bad english (brazilian, and i'm not a indian lol)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:14:22 PM by gtokuno »
Re: Random stop at x axis
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
Make sure there is no mechanical binding or undue load on the axis.
Go to Motor Tuning and reduce the speed and acceleration a bit.
Sounds like the motor is stalling and missing steps.
Assuming this is a stepper motor. ?
RC
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 01:13:09 PM »
Ops, sry... you're right, it is a stepper,.

Does it make any difference if the same configuration is applied in the other computer (the one that works normally)? And the thing is that it must run with the best speed/acceleration because i work with production...

Still, I'll change the settings, and post the results!

Thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
One computer might be putting out a cleaner pulse than the other and thus will run closer to the edge of your motors tuning. Run the driver test on both computers and see if the P4 is as clean as the AMD.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »
Hey hood! Does it make any difference? I saw here a guest saying he uses a pentium and works fine.

I'm home now, so i'll make the test tomorrow and post the results here!

Overload, i didn't connect the other computer yet, as soon as i do that, i'll run the tests!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
Doesnt matter whether its a pentium, an AMD a Via or whatever CPU, you can have a computer that puts out a bad pulse and another with exactly the same CPU but it puts out a good clean pulse. The type of chipset on the motherboard could be a factor, the type of parallel port another etc etc.
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 08:16:06 AM »
From the FWIW department:

Besides the obvious: accelleration set too high, wrong pulse width, etc., I've had the steppers stall for three non-Mach related causes:

1) ways too tight  . .  i.e. el cheapo X2 with el crappo machinging has tight spots in the travel. Set the ways at the 'loose' point and it will jamb at the 'tight' point.

2) laptop/notebook with 'energy save feature' active. Slows down the CPU when battery gets low, or when it 'predicts' it is going to get low  . . uh . .  'soon', . . . . or because it's Thursday, or for no reason at all.  Causes instant stepper stall. Mine could be disabled in the bios and I removed the battery altogether and run off the charger. No more problems with it.

Some desktop processors also have forms of 'throttling' so look for that and disable it if possible. I would not swear to it as I am just now doing some homework on Intels 'Core' series architecture, but I think they have the ability to throttle. I don't know enough about that to be helpful, but it's worth a look in troubleshooting problems if these processors are used, methinks.

3) wrong (too high) resistor on a Gecko stepper driver. I hooked up a 4 amp motor to a Gecko 203V that still had the resistor on it for a 6 amp motor. The 4 amp would squeal and move in apoplectic spasms. Calculated and installed the correct resistor and it runs smooth as silk.