Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:11:47 AM

Author Topic: Lazycam Turn  (Read 14495 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lazycam Turn
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »
ok Mike i will take a look, but here is a very rough tutorial i created
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 12:41:55 PM »
Mike,
Please bear with me.
How are you generating your dxf file?
What version of dxf are you saving it as?
What program is generating the dxf file?
see my comment

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »
MIKE,
Here is another little tutorial for you for getting the profile out of LazyCam Turn.
Now make note of the code lazyCam Turn generates on the profile.
My code changes in the txt or tap file are in ( ) but dry run the code and see if you pick
up on the quirky thing out of the profile generated code.
RICH
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 05:40:14 AM »
Rich
Thanks for your help and tutorials, much appreciated. I am using TurboCad V14.1 bought about a year ago and have used it successfully with LazyCam Mill, not sure were to find what version of DXF it generates!!
Dealing with the dfx I sent to you, and reading your guide lines I removed the vertical line to the left and opened file in LazyTurn and all I got was a Z axis 0.0368 long, I toggled between radius an dia mode with no difference. I then drew a dfx, a shaft with radius end, ( no vertical lines) LazyTurn generated straight cut lines, but didn't follow profile. Regarding finishing cuts in LazyTurn could you reduce the last cut X value to say 0.010 via edit code? What does the Optimize function do to the file in LazyCam Turn?  By the way I can't seem to print the PDF tutorials!!

Thanks again

Mike

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 07:13:35 AM »
I don't use turbocad so can't comment it other than all dxf's are not created equaly out of different cad
programs. I have seen this for years and continues even today and just don't even deal with it anymore.
Professioinaly, if the vendor provided dxf is not 100% importable, equivalent money is withheld to redraw the drawing
until submitted version works, that's in my specifications and must be met. Some just don't work.

LazyTurn will not gnerate profile / finishing cuts yet. It only generates rough cuts and they are basicaly
numereous horizontal paths. The paths do follow the profile within the clearance you select and dependant
on tool definition  You can't expect a 1/32 radius tool to go into a < 1/64" radiused corner. You will
get a different following of the rough cuts to the profile dependiing on how the tool is defined.

You can edit out any gcode you wish from the text / tap file with a word processor such as notepad.

Optimnize is defined or commented on in the video tutorials down loadable or viewable from this site.
It basicaly cleans up the file and optimizes the order  for use by Lazycam.

Sorry, I protected the PDF's, but will repost them so they print later today.

Suggest you follow postings in the LazyTurn thread for first hand info about it.

RICH

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 08:19:46 AM »
Hi Rich
Will play with tool settings as you suggest, I am sure you are a busy man, but could you draw a simple profile similar to mine and load it in LazyTurn, enter tool settings that will follow profile and then post, as that could give me a clue as what to expect.
Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »
Attached file is a combination of the tutorials posted in #10 & #12 which alllow printing.
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »
Mike,
Attachment showing effect of tool settings and passes.
RICH
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 05:12:57 AM »
Rich
Eureka it works, the problem is to the uninitiated, is that the values entered in the various fields don't relate to anything I know i.e. 'inscribed circle' in the tool menu what does that relate to?  but I am sure I will get there!!
I think Chip and the ArtSoft team should buy Rich a large Christmas present, as looking through the posts the amount of effort Rich is spending towards explaining how LazyTurn works to us dummies is considerable, let alone my recent plea for help.
I will try some cuts over the holiday and let you know how I get on. 
 Rich have a happy Christmas, and thank you once more for your help to understand LazyTurn

Best Wishes

Mike

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 06:26:44 AM »
 :)
Good for you Mike and have a Merry Christmas.
Now you need to go to and follow the thread on Lazyturn since Art is constantly
modifiying LazyTurn. That's where you will fiind info on use as it develops. ;)
RICH