Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:44:32 AM

Author Topic: PWM on spindle  (Read 9560 times)

PWM on spindle
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:18 AM »
I have a pmdx-106 to control my spindle direction and speed. Well the direction works just fine but everytime I try to inout a speed wether on the toggle button or on a "m" command, the computer beeps and says "setting PWM to minimum". Can anyone help? ???
Re: PWM on spindle
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:23:19 AM »
Hi there
I have the same message as you have, I use pmdx 122 and 106, please share your solution if you have one
regards
Koning
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
Did you follow the VSD Speed Calibration procedure in chapter 2.8 of the manual ?
I set mine up, 122/106, and everything worked exactly as expected. It actually scared me, due to the rarity.
That machine is no longer here though, will be ordering another combo soon.
RC

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:08:20 PM »
Go into Config/ Pulley and set your spindles speed for as many pulleys as you have got.  The way I did this was to put the VFD on manual and set it going, and then read the speed input by Mach 3.

I have just fitted about 6 pulley sets, so I did this with each one. My VFD, like most, I assume, although the motor is twice the size of the original, looses power below about 50 % of full speed, and most of my work is turning steel.

I set the spindles, in order to cover all the speeds up to my maximum, to give me the best power output at working speed.

Once they are in, Mach 3 remembers them, and if you select a speed outside the range that pulley is set to, it will show a warning.

If you only have the one pulley - i.e. no changes - then set pulley one between 0 (min) and your maximum speed, as obtained above, and you should find Mach 3 complies.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
Thank you for the reply and advice, This is what I want to get to work http://homeshopcnc.com/HFspindle2.html , PMDX122, Pmdx 106, Andeli VFD with a 2.2Kw water cooled spindle and Mach 3, VerR2.63. I can switch the spindle on at the remote operators panel with a switch and set the speed with the potentiometer, I have also set the Manual/auto switch to Auto that will allow the computer to control the spindle. This is what I accomplished today, did get Mach3 not to show me the ”PWM bumped to minimum”
 if I want to control my spindle with PWM then I should tick PWM control in spindle setup???? Picture this and please tell me the mistakes,

PMDX 122   Pin 14    connect to PMDX 106 Dir  in
PMDX 122   Pin 16   connect to PMDX 106 PWM in

Output  signal      
 output# 5    Port1   Pin 14   Active low

Spindle setup            
CW M3   Output #5,Use spindle motor control,   PWM  Control

Motor output      
Spindle    enable   Step pin 16, Dir Pin 14, Dir active,   step low active, Step port 1, Dir Port 1

I calibrated the spindle with the trim pots on the PMDX 106 Max speed is set at 400Hz@ 24000rpm minimum speed trim pot is set full anti clock wise and the spindle is still turning at 100Hz, rpm of more than 3600.
Here I am lost like most of the time; I have selected Pin 16 at motor control as Step because of the PWM output on the Pmdx 122 and Pin 14 for direction at motor control because of the connection between the two cards. At Spindle setup: PWM base Freq ………and and Min PWM…… % suggestions on values please.
With these settings, if I activate M3 or F5 I hear an relay activates  and when I M5 a relay activates again but no spindle turn,

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 03:33:53 AM »
You are running a little bit ahead of me here. Lets take it a step at a time.

You first must have a detector on the spindle to read the speed of the spindle back to Mach 3. This detector is only required to detect once per revolution. This input goes to the "index" pin - see Config/Port and Pins/Input Pins. The resulting readout on Mach 3 is very accurate (usually within 1 or 2 RPM. (This is not absolutly necessary, but gives moroe accurate control)

I have looked at the picture of the motor spindle/VFD unit and it certainly looks the part. What we need, however is a wiring diagram for it. In other words, what signals does the VFD require from the computer to make it work. My VFD is an Omron. The M3(CW) and M4(CCW) inputs require two pairs of wires to be connected (either pair, but not both) to give forward and reverse. This is completely seperate from the speed control. My speed control requires a voltage (0 - 10 volts) on an input wire to the VFD, This is derived from the PWM output from Mach 3, combined with a Digispeed - which converts the PWM signal to a voltage (and keeps both parts electrically seperate)

Whilst I understand what you are wanting, my sustem would not do that since my VFD must either be controlled manuall, or by the computer, the functions being switched on the front panel.

If you can supply a diagram, or the instructions for the spindle/VFD we can sort it out very quickly.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.