Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:47:10 PM

Author Topic: CNC Vacuum table project  (Read 23260 times)

CNC Vacuum table project
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »
Another quickie.

How to make a useful and passable vacuum table from 20 quids worth of acrylic, for a machine with a work envelope of 300 x 150 mm (just scale as reqd) with a holding force of up to 75 Kg

Only tool required (apart from a source of vacuum) is a SHARP 4mm end mill and some acrylic, and time to give your cnc machine a workout.

zip archive contains stl and dxf files, how to, etc etc, again not meant to be a masterclass.

njoy

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: CNC Vacuum table project
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 03:56:18 AM »
Excellent project.

The .rar files caused a bit of agro trying to open but I got there in the end.

Regards, Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:22:08 AM »
Glad you're enjoying it.

BTW for you and others, re this and the CPU waterblock and basically everything that I do with acrylic...

The secret with acrylic is the joining, not an adhesive, but a solvent that melts and then welds the two pieces into one. I use Tensol 12 (brand name) but the active ingredient is DMM, or Dichloromethane Methyl Methacrylate.

Excellent how to guide at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
 ???
Guy,

Can you mail me the zip file because I,m very interested but the download remains corrupt.
My email is ahroest@xs4all.nl

Thanks a lot!

Andre

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:27:29 PM »
???
Guy,

Can you mail me the zip file because I,m very interested but the download remains corrupt.
My email is ahroest@xs4all.nl

Thanks a lot!

Andre

Andre,

I notice you have a lot of problems with downloading but you blame the file as being corrupt. I just checked this one for you as well and it's perfect.

Possibly you have some sort of security running on your system that will not allow you to download?  ;)

Guy, nice work, you're a very giving man with your time. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say thank you for your input on the forum-  :)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »
Guy I also  sent you a PM with the same question just in case you havent been around in a while, also someone else might know the answer here as well.
   My question is about the vacum that you can use with the vacum table i amd building a new router and want to add a vacume table to it as soon as I get it running..Is there enough flow if I where to use an A/C service vacume pump?
   I know it will pull down to -30 vacume  but will the volume be enough to get the material to start to pull down, I have heard a lot of people use a big shop vac for their table but I dont want to hear that run for hours either and an A/C vacume is really quiet running.
   THanks
Gary
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:32:03 PM »
Yes, use an edwards type vacuum pump, not a vacuum cleaner.

just use some neoprene rubber to cover all the holes in the vacuum table not covered by the part

holding force = no of holes covered by part (area) x vacuum

vaccum pump, even knackered one, will pull 13/14 psi vacuum easy, shop vac may pull 5, and will then overheat because the use the airflow to cool the motor usually

HTH etc

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:38:48 PM »
Excelent,, I have some .750 starboard that I am going to use for a vacume table and cut the slots in it for the o ring material..
   I want to start cutting out slot car tracks believe it or not..
    Some tracks are going for BIG BUCKS just need to use the right material and needs to be held perfectly flat to the table...
  THanks for the information..
Gary