Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 12:05:17 PM

Author Topic: MPG and smoothstepper, input problems  (Read 15981 times)

MPG and smoothstepper, input problems
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:38:32 PM »
I'm running the latest SS plugin on Mach3 V3.042.020.

I want to install an MPG, one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110309110622&ih=001&category=633&_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262

I have the encoder hooked up to the SS's own inputs and it works fine.

For the axis select and step multiplier, I want to use a BOB on Port 2 of the Smoothstepper. The BOB I have is this one: http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/cnc25-pi-140.html?osCsid=bfd521b8f0ca780a0201e058aead5b1e as you can see it is about as basic as you can get.

I have enabled the second port in Mach3 and ticked "pins 2-9 as input" and in the SS plugin I have set the pins 2-9 as "In". I assume that is correct.

I've set the ports & pins inputs for the OEM triggers to port 2 , the relevant pins (3-8) and I've added the OEM codes in the hotkey setup  but mach or the SS does not see any switches, however, if I wire into pins 10 upwards, I can get mach to see them. Does anyone have any idea why I can't seem to input on pins 2-9 when mach and SS are set correctly? Could there be something funny about my BOB or have I gone about connecting it wrong?

Regards, Jeff.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: MPG and smoothstepper, input problems
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »
You set up the MPG on the encoder and MPG page.
There is no need to enable port 2 in Mach itself but it wont do any harm. On the Encoder/MPG page (from config menu then ports and pins) you just set your MPG up as normal, ie port 2 for A and B channels and pins to whatever you have the A and B connected to. You can then calibrate the MPG from Function Configs menu, remember to press calculate after each stage and then save once done.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »
Thanks for that Hood,

Would you know if I need pull-up resistors fitted to enable pins 2-9 to work on the 2nd port BOB (it really is a bare-bones BOB)? The encoder works perfectly, The A axis DRO counts up and down with turning the wheel, I just cannot get Mach to detect when I have selected X,Y or Z or the step multiple from the pendant.

i.e. If I change the selected axis on the pendant, nothing happens in Mach (it is stuck on A) and I'm positive the wiring and Mach config is correct. Doing a little research suggests I may need pull-up resistors but it would be nice to have it confirmed.

Many thanks for the help.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »
Ah OK sorry, was thinking when you said encoder on the dedicated pins was working that you were trying to swap it onto the 2nd port and it wasnt working.
 Can you attach your xml and I will have a look and see if I find a problem there, dont think Pull Ups would be needed.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »
I'll try to get my XML uploaded later tonight, it is on a different machine.

On the same sort of theme, i.e. inputs, I'm using A & B on the SS for the pulse generator. The manual says I can use the other pins as Parallel port type input pins. How many of these pins can I use as inputs, is it just the ones marked "+" (2A+, 2B+ etc.)? The manual is unclear as it states "The strip of 11 green screw terminals is meant for encoders, but may be used as input pins, just the same
as the pins on the two parallel ports." This seems to imply (to me) that all pins can be used but a table below this shows only six pins. I'm thinking that if I can use all the pins, I would be better off using the SS for the pendant as that would give me the required number of pins.

Regards, Jeff.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 04:02:24 PM »
I am not sure but I presume the differential inputs go to a differential receiver and are then converted to single ended inputs before they are passed to Mach so I think it will just be the 6 total Inputs for Port 3. It probably wont matter whether you use the + or -  but probably best just to use the +.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 01:29:21 PM »
Hi Hood,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, just so busy finishing up for Christmas.

Anyway, you are correct, it is only the six single ended inputs that are used. My problem with the inputs is it seems because my second BOB is so basic and cannot use the outputs as inputs. I've managed to work around it for now by using the available inputs on the second BOB for the multiplyer and three of the inputs on the SS for Axis select. Not as I would like it but it works now at least :)

I suppose really what I need is MODIO or something like as I can see this is going to get me wanting to build a console but this will do for a start.

Thanks for all the help.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »
On December 4th Smiler wrote: "The encoder works perfectly, The A axis DRO counts up and down with turning the wheel, I just cannot get Mach to detect when I have selected X,Y or Z or the step multiple from the pendant."

I have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

I'm using an MPG2 from CNC4PC. I am using it with a C22 card that is powered externally from the computer USB and checks out with a solid 5VDC. I have set pins 2-9 as input; the encoder pulses register okay and I can move the axes as long as I set rate and choose an axis via Mach 3. E-Stop works okay. Mach3 simply does not recognize axis commands selection nor multiplier from the pendant.
Doug
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 05:13:03 AM »
Hi,

Yes I did get it sorted out but I 'm not sure it will help you. It was a wiring issue inside the MPG which I still have'nt figured out. It was all to do with the "enable" button which had nothing to do with enable the function but simply enables the axis select and multiplier switches. What is supposed to happen is that while the enable button is pressed, you can select your axis and multiplier and the jog goes into velocity mode, when you let it go, the axis select is locked, the multiplier is locked and the jog switches to step mode. It didn't do this.

The BOB I had is about as raw a BOB you can get, a PP connector and a row of screw terminals, so no fancy stuff to get in the way. I set the SS to pins 2-9 as input but no matter what I did, I couldn't get the SS to see the inputs. I think what was required was a pull up resistor on each of the 2-9 inputs as the normal inputs worked just fine. My knowledge of PP's ,the SS and electronics is rudimentary at best (ask Roy at DIY-CNC  :) ) so I took a different tack. I opened up the MPG and simply moved the enable wire, which is just a grounding wire for the switches from the terninal it was soldered to, to GND. It meant that I could no longer have the MPG auto switch from step to velocity but it did mean I got the proper functionality back for the switches. To switch from step to velocity, I simply fitted 2 new momentary switches into the case and wired them to spare wires which were there for the 5&6 axis (which I don't use).

I never tried the MPG in PP mode, only on the BOB attached to the SS so it may have worked fine just on the PP. I got the feeling the SS was the culprit but wasn't brave enough and too embarrassed to ask about fitting resistors as things would have had to get very basic indeed :)

Hope this helps a little

Jeff.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »
Thanks for the lengthy reply. I will take a look inside the MPG and try to sort this out.
Doug