Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:59:58 AM

Author Topic: how to skip ahead on tool path? newb need's help  (Read 4058 times)

Offline dedlam

•  5 5
  • in the light
    • View Profile
how to skip ahead on tool path? newb need's help
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
hi guys, i'm new  :) and i have a quick question: how do i skip ahead on my tool path  8)? i have a multi part program loaded and i had to stop it part way threw. then i lost my zero ::). so i reset my zero and re-loaded my program and now i want to skip ahead threw the program to the traverse before my cut, two part's away, any ideas? i could sure use'em
just starting out with mach, the thing that jumped out and bit me was this forum! 24/7 live tech support?! insanity!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: how to skip ahead on tool path? newb need's help
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »
Iif its a licenced version you can scroll through the code and then use the run from here option.
Hood

Offline dedlam

•  5 5
  • in the light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »
thanks for the quick reply. it is licence but the code window supports one piece and a repeat line that referances a sub routeen that notify's the program how many times to repeat. i'm lost on how to make it go to piece number three.
just starting out with mach, the thing that jumped out and bit me was this forum! 24/7 live tech support?! insanity!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »
With subs, I believe you have to skip ahead to the sub call, and run from there. That's how I done it, but there's more ways than one to make/run subs, so my method may or may not work for you.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
Yes - Unfortunately if you are using a program with a number of subroutine calls, the Code window does not show the Sub Routine until it is called, therefore the "Run from Here" is difficult to implement.

What you do not say is if the Sub-routine calls are all to the same sub-routine or not. I was running a program a few weeks ago that consisted of 10 calls to different subroutines, each subroutine being about 450 lines long, but they all started where the previous one left off.

If you are just calling a the same sub-routine then you should know what it is going to do - i.e. where it is going to start, and position your axis in an appropriate spot. What you need to do then is pick a line in the MAIN program just immediately before the call to the sub-routine, that positions the three axis (say a G0 move) and run from there. The difficulty will be if your program is just using positional information, rather than the full G0 or G1 instruction, because the machine must have a full line of code if it is to start reliably.

The machine will pick up it's position, then jump to the sub-routine. I suppose if it is a long sub-routine, rather than repeat it all, you could then stop (NOT an E-stop) with a controlled stop, and then advance through the sub-routine (the machine will have retained it's positional information) which will by now be showing on the window, to a more appropriate position and run again from there.

It seems a bit messy, but that is the only way I can think of.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline dedlam

•  5 5
  • in the light
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:47:15 AM »
@sam: i think that solution may work. jump to end of program and run from traverse, wait for repeat (so it's in the zero position) then skip ahead again (puting me at part #3 after the traverse). thanks. i wish i'da thought of that.  ;D

@jimpinder more very intellegent information. thank you. i will see which one get's me further.  8)

thanks you guys.
this is the best advice i've gotten in the two weeks ive been running this program.
this forum ROCKS!! 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:12:15 AM by dedlam »